• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So much symbolism.

SaiFightsMS

I am sitting here watching live coverage of the toppling of a big statue of Saddam. The symbolism is incredible.

Other than the obvious symbol of the statue toppling as the "reign of terror" is toppling there are shoes flying. Shoes being removed and the sole displayed. Showing the bottom of the shoe is apparently a major insult.

So the statue starts to lean forward. It begins to break off at the legs. It momentarily lays on its front still on the pedestal. Finally it hits the ground

A surge of Iraqi's runs forward jumping up and down on it. They are slapping it with their shoes. An Iraqi flag is placed with pride on the pedastal.

So much symbolism.

By the way I did write this as I watched the live coverage. Live coverage now - not a taped replay. I am sure there will be much analysis later. But the symbolism is so blatant it is hard to ignore.

Sai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Indeed, I saw it myself and it was an amazing site. I was very proud to be a member of a nation involved in its doing.

However, when that Marine put the stars and stripes on the face of Saddam, I felt very dishearted in that I dont really think the Marine understood what he was doing. I personally feel that he ruined a fantastic historical moment with overwhelming American pride.

We all know that the coalition and mainly the USA has done a great deal for Iraq. But let us not forget that this was not a war of invasion, but of liberation, and brandishing any flag other than the Iraq one is going to be hard to swallow.

Obviously, I don't want to get involved in "Serious Discussion," but like you all... I watched it live and it was an awesome site.

The US flag "issue" (not my term) will be contorted and twist, just like this war is and will be for a very, very long time. We are ingrained with Iraq quite a bit now and although it may not have been the best moment, there is really nothing wrong with it as the US flag, while being a symbol of the US, is also a symbol of freedom as far as I am concerned.

"I'm 49, but I never lived a single day," said Yusuf Abed Kazim, a Baghdad imam who was pounding the statue's pedestal. "Only now will I start living. That Saddam Hussein is a murderer and a criminal."

From FoxNews.com

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Patrick, it was never about are far as you were concerned. There are many free nations in the world and the USA was not the first.

I personally think that the time for slapping ourselves on the back is far far away yet. And putting a foreign flag in the center of a foreign city is a very abrasive thing to do. The troops must be aware of the constant and apparant problem the Arab world has with the West. Placing a flag, whether it be US, British, French, Chinese or whatever would have been unsettling.

However, I can only look with pride on the job that has been done thus far.

The greatest symbolism I can see, shows that when people work together we can achieve so much.

I agree with Kensai - it was a *EDIT*

edit: I took out the rest of the sentence because I can't be bothered getting into another 'arguement'

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Kensai,

Well, its not about as far as you are concerned either. :) But, we're just posting our opinions here, so everything we say is as far as we're concerned.

I agree with you that it wasn't best time to put the flag out there.

I just don't feel that it was some horrendous act. :)

Anyway, like I said... I don't really participate in here, if you notice. :) Tough to take an administrative role when you participate. ;)

Thanks.