• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does one have to be a successfull competitor in MA's to be a good fighter on the street?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Does one have to be a successfull competitor in MA's to be a good fighter on the street?

• YES?
    • NO?

Absolutely not but is helpful. Kyuk Too Ki matches that we do is full contact Street Fighting which involved punched elbows, kicks throws, joint locks, submission, and basically helps the fighter learn all around aspects of fighting for street scenarios. I can speak from persoanl expereince unfortunately.Kyuk Too Ki encompasses Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Yudo, and many more styles.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its NOT necesary to be a sucefull competitior to be good in street. In fact, many sucesfull competitors aren't all that good in street fighting because they are used to fight with rules.

BUT, Sparring DOES help as a training method, even if you aren't an active competitor, just be sparring regulary, full contact, using MMA rules helps a lot.

Hey thnx alot guys for ur replies i really appreciate them, i agree with u all and wish u the best luck in ur MA' journey.

:karate: KEEP TRAINING AND ALWAYS WORK HARD AT IT! :karate:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

I think that MA's are not so practical for the street, but it is true, u have a feeling even if slight what it feels like.

MA's are more for testing your skills against people who also do martial arts. it is a confidence boosting technique and may be as close to the real thing as some people may get.

The moon shines on

The waters not present

In an undug well

Yields forth a man

With neither shadow nor form

I think all forms of training help you be a better fighter on the street, but this does not mean you will be good at it.

One person might find it immensely useful while another will not.

Competing in Tournaments helps a MA with focus and giving them a goal for many hours of training. IE it is one thing to pass your belt test with many, it is another to compete with many and be awarded 1st place.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

MA's are more for testing your skills against people who also do martial arts. it is a confidence boosting technique and may be as close to the real thing as some people may get.

I understand ur point but kinda disagree if im reading what u mean correctly. MA's IMO is souly of self development if u increase ur mind ur body will just follow(with proper training ofcourse) however i do agree with the confidence view, i have found it has given me tremendous confidence in myself, there is a saying with great power comes great responsibility thus we learn how to fight so that we don't have to fight understand :idea: Its a philosophy that i have followed all my life in MA's as much as iam learning to pretty much kill an opponent the key is to make friends and most of all keep understanding and exceptance in the world but if that were true then there would be no war today.

:-?

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

Well, we have at least three dofferent groups of MA here.

The "best fighter" sport-art group.

The "improve yourself" group.

and the "survive violent situations" group.

My primary goal is neither competition nor enlightenment; it's effecacy. Perphirally I like MA for it's own sake and the health benifits of regular exercise.

sorry if u got the wrong impression Kaju_Ifluenced. I meant MA tournaments, i absolutely agree with what ur sayin. my life has changed dramatically because of Martial Arts.

Tournaments are great, they also give a different view on urself and how u train or/and practice compared to another martial arts competitor, but one cannot judge their self defence skills in the ring

its different, very very different.

The moon shines on

The waters not present

In an undug well

Yields forth a man

With neither shadow nor form