• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does one have to be a successfull competitor in MA's to be a good fighter on the street?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Does one have to be a successfull competitor in MA's to be a good fighter on the street?

• YES?
    • NO?

Ok this might be a touchy subject but in your oppinions does one have to be a successfull competitor in MA's to be a good fighter on the street. I would appreciate it if everyone posting that this is open to only friendly discussion and that everyone should respect everyone elses oppinions please. :D

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By competitor, do you mean tournament? Or do you just mean successful in MA, cuz I don't necessarily think that success in the RING translates into success on the STREET.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

There are many schools who train for competition. If you are in a style like Muay Thai, BJJ or something else in the no-holds barred area, competition might be helpful to you. Competition can help with adrenaline stress, as well as learning to fight against unfamiliar opponents, rather than the classmates you face class after class after class.

So it may be helpful, but is it necessary? Absolutely not. In some cases it may actually hinder you. I say this because certain MA's do point sparring in competition; a stop-and-go style of fighting which is unrealistic when compared to the street. It's a great, complex thing in itself, but isn't necessarily going to help you in the street.

There are plenty of schools who teach techniques that are effective for the street, but don't participate in competition.

So, while competition may help in some cases, it is by no means necessary.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

here is my opininon, You dont HAVE to be a ring fighter to do well on the street but I think anyone who has steped into a ring with someone wanting to take their head off is going ot be better prepared than someone who has not.

people try to discredit ring fight because it's not "Real" but 90% of MMA fighting translated well into a real fight, MMA fighters are the greatest fighters in the world and i think its funny how they can absoulty dominate people in a cage but once they step out somehow they are not as good of fighters.

If they can win against trained fighters normal thugs will be a walk in the park

I know competition is not for everyone but i think it's a powerful learning experience for anyone who has not been in a fight...it's intresting to see how well your training works once punches are comming at you...i think alot of people would be suprised.. :)

what about those fruits who get in fights every day because they think its cool? If you were to get in a fight with one of them they will have some experence in what they do. They have to adapt to what works best also. I mean, if your fighting some fat punk bully guy, then yea, it would be alot easier to kick him in the head than for him to kick you. :lol:

#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

I would say that you dont have to be a succesful competitor in MA to be good in the streets. Lets say hypothetically someone takes martial arts and doesn't compete in a tournament, but is still to kick some @$$ on the street, it's all on how you spend your time training on your time. Forget not that MA not only takes place in a dojo but it is a constant practice that must be done constantly. It is a MA student's homework that is never done and never 100% complete and is always being marked and corrected by your teacher when showing him what you have been practicing. Then one day you correct everything to the point where you are now the teacher. Training then is all on yourself.

Mo Duk Pai Kung fu - Green Sash (https://www.modukpai.com)

Shotokan Karate - Orange Belt (https://www.nwkarate.com)

Future plans - Go to a Shaolin academy.(https://www.shaolins.com)

I agree with TJS.

I dont think having compition fighting experience is necessary in becoming a good street fighter, I believe there are more imprtant things. However, I think proving your skill in a hostile enviroment like NHB/full contact sparring does help.

I say no. Because when I was attacked, I never competed before then, and I was only a green belt in TSD. I knew enough to get away safely. Yea, it was the basic self defense that I learned, but it worked :)

In my new school, when we test, it's all "random" attacks (except for forms, breaking and sparring portion). You learn different techniques as you go, then at testing, someone "attacks you" and you must defend against it/them.

Competing isn't all bad. It gets you used to getting hit, fighting back, and helps you overcome the "stress" of fighting.

Laurie F