• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the difference between BJJ and JJ

You're right, but there is essentially no difference in the jiu-jitsu between the various teams. Some people like simple games, some like using all the new stuff, some like to concentrate on the Vale-Tudo aspect, others the self-defence. It's all good, and it's all pretty much the same.

I just don't want people thinking "Oh, the BJJ guys aren't as good as the GJJ guys" or thinking there is a difference between the two, other than who's actually doing it.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Kirves on the Taijutsu thread you were telling us not to worry about names and here you are worrying about names, BJJ, GJJ, JJJ, TJJ, what's up?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Someone asked what's the difference between the names. I was simply informing him.

Also, in the taijutsu thread, we were discussing about essentially styles of the same art (bujutsu). There some people were implying that the different styles of bujutsu were actually different arts because some schools used another wording on their sign and certificates.

• 2 weeks later...

ok to the guy that actually started this thread not all of the people wanting to prove they know more about it than the next person

u should probably try them both out a little bit to actually tell the difference and possibly choose one if u already havent

Cody

white belt in everything

goshinman said "Not to long ago a guy was on here bragging about how he whooped a TJJ brown belt and a black belt after he had only had 5 lessons in BJJ ."

I wasn't bragging, I was pointing out, using that example, that BJJ and TJJ are not the same thing. There is no way you could do that to a black belt or even a blue belt in BJJ after 5 private lessons.

It's not about being arrogant, it's about being truthful. I'll readily admit that there are some good TJJ schools out there but they seem to be in the minority whereas all BJJ schools seem to be of a consistent quality.

The original question on this thread was "I'm just curious, if you will find much of a difference between the two?"

I answered yes and gave an example of why. I don't need to brag, but why should I not say that and mislead the guy? There is a LOT of difference between BJJ and TJJ.

I actually understand where you were coming from. I just get a little peeved at some of the bashing that goes on nowadays and I reacted emotionally to your statements without looking at your post in it's entirety. My apologies.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

you guys crack me up. Did you know in Brasil they just call it jiujitsu? Rorian called it GJJ because he was a Gracie, and wanted to make a clear difference between what they did in Brasil, and the jj that Americans were more accustomed to seeing. As far as the Machados and all of that, they are cousins to the Gracies. They have the same teachers. They just have different focus from school to school. Ralph guys tend to be very aggresive, Cesar tends to focus a lot on sweeps like the Machados. Some schools are competition minded and so forth. Let it rest guys. jj is jj. The only difference is the focus

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

Not well said! JJ is as different from BJJ as Karate is to KickBoxing. BJJ is a whole other art. Just like some forms of Karate and Judo an Aikido, things where Taken from JJ, but don't assume because there is a double j behind the B doesn't mean it is the same thing.

I would say BJJ has more in common with Judo than it does with Real Traditional Jujutsu.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"