Whats the difference between BJJ and JJ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this topic has come up several times rescently try a search..

mainly TJJ has more stikes and standup grappling while BJJ foucuses more on the ground side.

ALso BJJ is know for practicing Fully against a resisting opponet alot more.

I think Rickson Gracie said the only diffrence between TJJ and BJJ is that in Brazil they actually do it.

The only difrence is BJJ took EVERYTHING IT IS from TJJ. They only learned a small portion of TJJ and then did expand on it but it is more of a sport version of TJJ.

TJJ has strikes as well and also they take the time to teach how to fall properly and many other things before you start randori (free play) thus reducing injuries. BJJers boast how many people get injured in their gyms like this is some proof of their style being more "real". While it is good I will say that there are more injuries because they just let people enter off the street untrained just start going at it. And while yes it might help you learn quicker for a real fight I must say that if your brak your arm in the first month it is going to slow you WAY down in the learning process. and as far as BJJers going againt resisting opponents this is what TJJ is ALL ABOUT. Almost all belts (after the initial ones) the tests are free style wrestling to show you know your moves and your oponent is FULLY resisting.

I know my spelling sucks but I just wanted to impart what little I know. Later

The only difrence is BJJ took EVERYTHING IT IS from TJJ. They only learned a small portion of TJJ and then did expand on it but it is more of a sport version of TJJ.

TJJ has strikes as well and also they take the time to teach how to fall properly and many other things before you start randori (free play) thus reducing injuries. BJJers boast how many people get injured in their gyms like this is some proof of their style being more "real". While it is good I will say that there are more injuries because they just let people enter off the street untrained just start going at it. And while yes it might help you learn quicker for a real fight I must say that if your brak your arm in the first month it is going to slow you WAY down in the learning process. and as far as BJJers going againt resisting opponents this is what TJJ is ALL ABOUT. Almost all belts (after the initial ones) the tests are free style wrestling to show you know your moves and your oponent is FULLY resisting.

I know my spelling sucks but I just wanted to impart what little I know. Later

so why does TJJ not have the succes of BJJ in MMA or grappling ?

Thanks Dustin.

You really did impart what *little* you knew.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

• 2 weeks later...

Traditional or Japanese Jujutsu was the first Japanese martial art. It was the martial art of the samurai. All other Japanese martial arts (aikido, judo, karate,) are descended from Jujutsu. It encompases all aspects of martial arts (kicking, punching, throws, chokes, joint locks, and ground fighting) At higher levels there is usually some sort of weapon training. Brazillian JJ was created by the Gracie family in the early half of the 20th century after learning a small amount of Judo and Jujutu. In BJJ your object is get your opponent to the ground and use a choke or joint technique.

I hope this answers the question.

I think that I can add more light on this subject, having asked a LOT of bjj teachers the same thing. BJJ is like the old-school judo, as it is/was practiced at the kosen schools. If you notice, everything that the Brazilians do has a japanese name. Kimura/Ude-garami, triangulo/sankaku jime. omoplata/ hiza gatame etc. When Judo was tainted, and became more focused on the Olympic path, Kano was upset. HE was once quoted as saying" This is NOT the judo that I created" The difference between the old school judo/bjj is the TRANSITIONS. They are the same holds and stuff, but the schools that focused equally on tachiwaza have a greater over all skill, more balanced between standing moves, and ground ones. BJJ was once strictly for self-defense. But for the non-fighting segment of society, sport bjj was created. That is where some refinements in the guard have come about. If you read some old judo books, Best Judo, Judo in action/ grappling techniques, you will see the exact same thing that we call bjj

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.