• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Modifying or adding to Wing Chun / Kung Fu

first of all remember this thread is not about capoiera versus another but but i have to say tjs is right. no u cannot judge a whole ssytem and every system is good it depends on the practitioneer but end of the day u cannot seriosuly expect it to handle it self on the street, it has good side efefcts like flexibiility etc. but in a tight closed street are you really gonan start break dancing, another martials artist of a maore practical direct style of the same level would destroy him.

but back to the main question. wing chun is about modification wing chun is your basic then anything that works for you on top that fits in with the wing chun core principles is accepted. make wing chun your own personal style, you start of being taught then you teach yourself but it has to fit in with the main principles. yes in theory this breakdancing thing may work but its not for wing chun, simplicity is our key, and we do not want to 'fool' our opponents we should be comfortable in our own fighting zone. so no wing chun would not accept the modified stances.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what you say is true about Wing Chun then it is about adaptation and modification. Then if someone throws a punch at you and all that you do is put your hand up in fear, and the puch is blocked! Then it is a completely valid technique. To say Wing Chun would not except another technique as its own is to close the door on all Wing Chun students. Wing Chun allows you to expand on its core concepts and Theories but it does not limit you to them

If someone finds a way to effectivley apply a breakdancing manuever into a fighting situation, then it is a valid technique. Regaurdless of yours or anyone elses opinion about a certain styles validity, especially when your knowlegde of the style seems to stem from watching too much television. Yes I agree completely with TJS and everyone else that adding breakdancing to wing chun is not needed and quite possibly a waste of time.

However, martial arts is about self discovery. Bruce Lee himself was a believer in taking techniques from other style which he felt to be useful and unique. He spent many years in trial and error, the techhniques which he could not effectivly apply were thown out. Keeping of course not the best techniques; but, the best techniques that worked for him. Which is why bruce was such a talented martial artist. He did not let his own ego or ignorance impede him from finding the right path. At the beggining of his journey of self discovery, all paths were open to him. And he travelled many of them. When he returned, he did so with only the things that fit his own ability.

The main point again is that no matter the visual validity of a technique or style, it is up to the practitioner not a group of close minded peers to make the final discision.

Very Respectfully

wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

yes you are very right in some cases. i believe 100% in bruce's philisophy of discovery. i ebluve in having a core martial art and then techniques and concepts adding ot that that will allow your own personal evolution as a martial artist to blossom. the best techniques are the ones that work for you, you must experiment and then keep what will prove useful and excell in those concepts or techniques. woing chun is similar for example in some schools elbow strikes are not taught, or manybe some other strikes but whne practicing feeding techniques we should experiment with tecniques we feel may be effective then decide whetehr we could use them. however that doesnt mean that fighing is aone big dream where if u 'believe you can', you can make any technique effective, wing chun has the core principles which hace been tried and tested on logic and have been proven to work. after these few basics the whole learning process becomes iimmense and flexible, you carry on learning but these is so much flexibitlity and you have the opportunity to experiment. however as i said they must fit in with the tried and tested principles of wing chun, if not then wing chun wouldnt even be a martial art, it does have a core foundation. by all means if you think dancing is going to help you fught then go for it but you cant associate them with wing chun ebcuase they do NOT fit in with the principles, centreline etc. if they do not then they cant be wing chun.

thank you

I'm gonna have to agree with WC on this one. Wing Chun does offer you emmense flexibility to expand upon the art, however there is a line that must be drawn at some point. Breakdancing does not fit in with the principles of Wing Chun, therefore you can not truely attribute it to your Wing Chun, even if it is your personal version of WC. However, I would say that by adding breakdancing to your WC you could possibly call it your Jeet Kune Do, as long as you understood the philosophy behind it and can grasp the concept that JKD is not a style or system, but your own personal way of fighting that is not confined to any other style or system.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee