• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Modifying or adding to Wing Chun / Kung Fu

I want to talk about grappling and dance! On the old argument of that Wing Chun doesn't have any grappling. A lot of schools don't teach grappling and if you ask why not/what if you get into a headlock, the simple reply is "you should never get into that situation in the first place". I didn;t think this was an appropriate response, whilst I do not think that arts such as ju-jitsu are very effective, especially their contention that "95% of fights end up on the ground", i do find some things they have are good. I cross trained with a jujitsu instructor and covered some of the syllabus, mainly forward/backward rolls, how to fall if thrown. These have proven very useful. A Wing Chun artist cannot go around thinking that they will never be thrown down, or maybe they might need to escape with a back roll. I have practiced these rolls and falls to be in line with the centre line principle and find them to be effective in suprising people!

On dance, I watched breakdancers and was impressed by their moves. Recently we have taken this to heart and tried to incorporate breakdancing with Wing Chun. So far it is kind of working! IF someone throwns a punch, we can simply appear to collapse to the ground and swivel and sweep the person from their feet with a low kick! It takes everyone by suprise.

I would love to hear of peoples modifications and new weird stuff to try!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakdancing is a complete contrary to Wing Chun.

First of all, its not even a martial art.

Wing Chun is based upon effectiveness, and shortest distance attacks. Breakdancing isn't even a MA, but if you incorporate some of its moves into a fight I fail to see how these conserve energy, time, or distance.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

what Wing Chun is if you are doing what you said you have done. I did break dancing as a youth and I can tell you that most things are opposite to the theories of Wing Chun. Your martial arts skill must be a joke.

Marty

Mother of God! You got the wrong end of the stick! Were not turning into dancing faggots! All we have done is just incorporate some of the spin and falls, were just experimenting. How does this reflect on our martial arts skills? Is it such a crime to experiment? When we fight, we don't start dancing, we still adhere to the WC core, we just introduced some spin and falls for laffs. You people need to chill a little. :lol:

If you belive Jiu Jitsu isint effective but Break dancing can be then i think you should seriously evaluate your entire thinking of the MA world

here are some realistic choices...

Jiu Jitsu

Wrestling

Sambo

Judo

even if it was a joke.... I wouldn't have shared that one...

Anyway, Sambo is basically russian judo. It has a lot of throws but the flavor is a little different and they allow leg locks, I believe.