• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

POLL: What is the most exciting Olympic Martial Art?

aefibird:

Nice clip. Who are the two players?

I looked back at my posts from August 2004 and found this:

Bertrand Cbongou Liango from Central African Republic was knocked out during his fight against Tuncay Caliskan, from Austria, in a quarterfinal match in the men's under 68kg division at taekwondo, Friday, Aug. 27, 2004. Cbongou was leading 4 - 1 when he was knocked unconscious. His head snapped back and he fell face-down to the mat. He lay motionless while being counted out and was carried off on a stretcher.

Liango, 22, was unconscious but breathing as he was carried off and after a couple minutes he started moving his hands and regained consciousness, according to a doctor at the site. Liango was released from Kat hospital in Athens on Saturday afternoon, the Greek health ministry said. He sustained a concussion.

Wow! He was ahead 4-1 when he got KO'd! :o

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching that clip again, he's just waiting for that spinning hook kick. The winner must have picked up something the guy that got knocked out does before each back leg turning kick. If you watch, the winner bends his knees and gets ready to spring that spinning hook kick about a second before the loser tosses that kick out. He was teeing him up...

Man I wish I had timing like that... heheh...

Im Olympic TKD (sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about it!) do the fighters have to fight to the end of the time limit regardless of score or if one player has reached a particular score before the end of the time then do they get the win? e.g. if one person had reached (for example) 5 points then would that be the end of the match or would they have to fight it out to the end of the time and just see who scores the most points?

I hope that makes sense... :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Olympic sparring is continious and there is no point limit... from what I know... (correct me if I'm wrong)... so when you start a match, you walk off the floor after three rounds... or get carried off...

A final score could be 20-19... 100-99... etc...

There no point limit...

Slydermv is correct, however in the Olympic scores are usually below 10.

It used to be like boxing, where you didn't know who won until the end of the fight. The judges would be marking down points as they see them and they would be verified and tallied at the end of the fight. Now they use electronic scoring. Judges have a two hand held scoring devices, one blue and one red. When they see a score for either player they press the appropriate button. I competed in a Regional championship yesterday where they used electronic scoring. Its a good tool.

The center ref does not score points. He/she awards warning and penalties, which amounts to deductions. These deductions come off the score board and could be the reason a player loses.

In the Olympics they fight 3, three minute rounds of continous sparring.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Thank you Kicks and slydermv for your answers. :)

I competed in a Regional championship yesterday

How did you do?? :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!