• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu Seibukan Kata.

Azure

I have some confusions with the Pinan Sandan, Wansu and Passai Kata's.

Starting with Pinan Sandan, I cant seem to remember what the initial blocks are for.. the inside Uchi Uke to the left comes first followed by two quick variations of the Uchi Uke, which dont seem like blocks to me, someone practising that kata please elaborate the movements.

In Wansu, the combination at the end of the kata after the middle punch and front kick is confusing me. After the punch and the kick, (both done at the same time) an upper and lower knife hand block is executed followed by what is called the 'Fireman's throw'. I would like to know how that throw is possible.

And finally, in Passai, the end part of the kata just before you stand ready with fists chambered ready to execute the three double punches, there is a quick series of movements starting from the elbow hit. I dont seem to get the movements correctly.

I hope someone would enlighten me with the real concept of the movements, since there is no Shorin Ryu Dojo in the country I am currently living in. Thanks! :)

Sho-dan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Azure

I used to be a Shotokan man, and asked myself these questions many times. You have to bear in mind, however, that kata is just the building blocks of a fight, and should not be thought off as the *exact* techniques.

In Pinan Sandan (I did it as Heian), the opening manoeuvres can be thought of as many things - blocks against double punches (would the opponent juts stand there after you have blocked him?) - double arm break (maybe, but arms don't break easily, and chances are u can do as much damage to yourself as you do to the opponent)

I like to think of it as a hammerlock technique, with a headbutt to finish them off.

I can't help you with any of the other katas.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

I have a rather off the wall explanation for the movements I think you mean in Passai. Now remember there is not just one correct use or application for any technique in a kata.

The arm that is up at elbow height is holding your opponents arm. The fist that is punching down is attacking your opponents family jewels. Now you do this a couple of times so he will really wish he hadn't messed with you in the first place.

Just one idea to toss out. Take it if you like it. If you don't laugh and go on.

As a note I think a person does not really begin to "understand" a kata until they see their own ways to use some of the moves in it.

Azure,

For Pinan Sandan.

I have really good interpretations (out of the ordinary) for movements in Pinan Shodan, Yondan and Godan. My concepts for Pinan Sandan are okay, not great. And they all have takedowns, so they are complicated, especially to explain.

The opponent is directly in front, and your feet are as the appear in the kata, equidistant from the attacker. The attacker steps in left foot, left Chudan (center area) Tsuki.

Turn 90 degrees to your left, sitting back on your right foot, and block with your left. (Center block) You may have to step out 6 inches or so with your right foot to get off the line of attack. Make sure you use the rotation of your body to add power to the block. Don't turn and then block. It all goes together.

Stepping right foot forward to the left foot (into an upright stance), the left downward block merely pushes down on the inside of the left forearm, trapping it, as the right center block strikes the left triceps tendon(1/2-to-1 inch above the elbow joint) with your ulna (bone on the pinky side of your forearm). Make sure the ulna rakes the triceps tendon, sliding broadly across it. This vital point is sensitive to friction and the sliding of the ulna across it provides that. The right hand does not move circularly, just straight out to the outside block position. The arm bar should lower the attacker's left shoulder a foot or so and lock the arm.

With the left hand, grap the opponent's wrist and circle it back towards you so you can lift it up over your right arm (another trap). You may have to do a big circle to first bend the arm, and use the right ulna to rake the elbow to help. Once the arm is hooked, release the hand but continue the circular movement without stopping, and strike the opponent in the head with your left hand in a backfist. This is the outside or center block.

The 180 degree turn to the right can be used as a takedown. With your right hand, keep the trap and grab the shoulder/upper arm on the gi. With your left, strike up and back (pulling towards you and to your right) on the side of the neck furthest away. As you pivot clockwise, the left hand will stay put relative to your body and the rotation will provide power to drive the neck to your right. (The body follows.)

Now for the part that puts it all together. As you shift weight to your left leg in cat stance and turn to the right, the right leg is freed up. Use it to squeeze opponent's left knee. (From the outside-in). This weakens the stance and allows the takedown to occur.

In fact, you will have great trouble doing this technique on a bigger person unless you squeeze the knee with the inside of your leg.

Please try it and let me know

1. If you have any problems (it is hard to describe this in text, maybe I can do better)

2. If it works for you, how well?

Kakushiite.

The double blocks(outside blocl and down block done at the same time) seems to be a counter to the UEchi-ryu Wauke(strike to the shoulder and hip at the same time). Both systems have them in it alot. Maybe they saw eachother doing it and decided to counter the moves.

Wow! Thanks guys! That really helped a lot!

Tobias_Reece, your concept of the kata is somewhat what I had. I take my kata's in terms of strikes and blows, and not as locks and twists of the oppenents arms.. so I've got plenty of revision to do! :D

That is one technical explanation Kakushiite! But worked real well, yet I still have to get used to what you have elaborated, because I never took it in that sense. :)

Sho-dan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate.