• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

lets go korean stylist

this is interesting........i find it hard enough to find true HAPKIDO schools around but very rare to find KOOK SOOL WON clubs...tell me more...........? :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rushman,

What would you like to know? :???:

They are few and far between :uhoh:, except for California and Texas (previous and current locations for the world headquarters).

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

i am familiar with KSW but wondered if the schools have increased over the last few years or if i just haven't live in an area that has them? i have been to texas and arizona in the last couple of years and haven't seen any. something that i do when i live in a city is to familiarize myself with most of the korean styles available in the area .............. :nod:

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

On 2001-11-12 05:44, KSN Doug wrote:

Yeh Kungfuwoo, I would say this system does exactly that. You get the benefit of the cross-training a lot of people on this board favor, without having to change schools.

And, with every new level, I find we get more in depth into most of the skills than I had originally imagined. That's why I've stayed with it for about 9yrs, and plan to stay with it for a long time. I don't see myself ever getting board, or reaching a plateau in KSW.:grin:

Where are you taking classes now? Who's your instructor?

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2001-11-12 05:46 ]

Actually, I am taking KSW at U of I under Tim Seitz. Its just a club, but we are recognized as a real KSW organization. It seems like there is a lot to learn about KSW, but I am also taking a martial art called Yin Yang Do (also Chung Moo Do, Chung Moo Qwan, Oom yung do; anyone hear of it?) that prolly has at least the same amount or more different techniques as KSW. Its more of a standing art, but it also incorporates some grappling, but a lot of stiking and Hapkido.

[ This Message was edited by: Kungfuwoo on 2001-11-12 17:12 ]

Rush,

Amazing you didn't see one in Texas. They're thick through Houston, and a fair amount in Austin and San Antonio.

If you look at the organization web site (https://www.kuksoolwon.com) you can find the locations of all the official "full time" schools. As with Woo's post, there are a ton of un-listed clubs being run by authorized instructors at places like YMCAs and universities. The instructors are usually like me, have a career already, but still want to teach what we know.

I would have started one already, but I can't find anywhere that doesn't already have a Joe Shmo Karate in them.

Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Woo,

That's going to get very confusing if you try and take two art as detailed as KSW. I suggest you take a good look at each, and pick one. What you learn right now in KSW is critical to your performing the techniques properly, and learning more advanced techniques in the future. I'm sure it's the same for the other one. What's right in one art, is very frequently wrong in another. Especially when they're from different countries.

I haven't heard of the other one but it sounds interesting. Is it Chinese? :???:

Oh, and don't worry about it being a club. Your instructor still has to be certified through headquarters to operate. I'm looking to open one myself. It's a good way to build class size before moving to a dedicated location. :bigwink:

Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

KSN DOUG........perhaps i just overlooked them when i was there.....i will look closer next time i'm in san antoine.....thanks for the info my friend................ :nod:

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

Well actually Doug, I don't do both at the same time, when I go home for winter/summer breaks, I take Yin Yang do, but during school, I take KSW. Many self-defense applications are very similar, however, I prefer the standing style fighting of YYD better, but the KSW grappling techniques are better i think. YYD is actually a combo of Korean and Chinese, more emphasis on the Chinese at first, and as you progress, there are more traditional, Ki-building, almost unknown Korean arts in the mix as well as some more Chinese arts.

There are a good number of KSW schools in Michigan, one of which is run by Master Simonds in Sault Ste Marie, MI and Canada. But it is true that KSW isn't as popular as the other arts, maybe because of the less glamorous name or dropout rate leading to black belt. Due to the number of techniques required (two hundred seventy something) many do not reach the level of KSN Doug. But KSW is more than just kicks, hand strikes and joint locks. It also involves breathing, meditation and Ki. It's a very comprehensive system to say the least.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.