• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you REALLY think that boxing can't be used for the street, then you are SADLY mistaken. my guess would be that anyone who says that has never sparred a boxer, let alone fought one. remember, boxers also hit the bag without gloves.

Think about the old saying - "I'd fear the person who practices one technique 1,000 times more than the one who practices 1,000 techniques one time.

While these "deadly" traditional systems spend their time working forms, weapons and light contact sparring, the boxer is drilling his same 6 punches over and over... doesn't matter that he doesn't kick, elbow, etc. he's a master at what he has.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with boxing, but not with tkd and san shou wrestling...

i suggest you wrestling and muay thai

ANYTHING can be effective, you oonly have to train properly.

so If I trained as hard as I could in Tae Bo I would be just as good as if i had but that same effort in Boxing or Muay Thai.

not all schools/stlyes are created equal..dont be naive..

If you REALLY think that boxing can't be used for the street, then you are SADLY mistaken. my guess would be that anyone who says that has never sparred a boxer, let alone fought one. remember, boxers also hit the bag without gloves.

Think about the old saying - "I'd fear the person who practices one technique 1,000 times more than the one who practices 1,000 techniques one time.

While these "deadly" traditional systems spend their time working forms, weapons and light contact sparring, the boxer is drilling his same 6 punches over and over... doesn't matter that he doesn't kick, elbow, etc. he's a master at what he has.

While I cannot speak for any other arts I can speak for mine when I say that some of the things you said are a little assuming. Remember that there are arts out there who hit punching bags without gloves. I'm not saying boxing isn't just as "deadly" as a martial art, for that would be very arrogant on my part.

BTW, when you said "working forms" did you mean doing katas? I would imagine that kata's are just one part of a plethora of things you would practice. I have kata's and I practice them but I practice my punches and kicks just as often if not more.

Once again I'm not saying boxing isn't effective, I'm just saying that some of the things you said above probably doesn't apply to every ma.

Michael Smith

so If I trained as hard as I could in Tae Bo I would be just as good as if i had but that same effort in Boxing or Muay Thai.

your first mistake is that tae bo is not a style.... Don't be so ignorant.

While I cannot speak for any other arts I can speak for mine when I say that some of the things you said are a little assuming. Remember that there are arts out there who hit punching bags without gloves. I'm not saying boxing isn't just as "deadly" as a martial art, for that would be very arrogant on my part.

BTW, when you said "working forms" did you mean doing katas? I would imagine that kata's are just one part of a plethora of things you would practice. I have kata's and I practice them but I practice my punches and kicks just as often if not more.

Once again I'm not saying boxing isn't effective, I'm just saying that some of the things you said above probably doesn't apply to every ma.

It's not assuming at all... I'm speaking from the experience I've had from training traditional styles. Of course, you will do more than katas, but you won't train at the same intensity as the avg. sport fighter. Also, as I said, the training is more focused. you have weapons, kicks, punchs, in some stlyes - throws, katas.... see where I'm going? you have so much to focus on. Take Judo for example. Out of the 65 throws in the style, how many does the avg competitor really master? Coaches reccomend that you have 2- 3...2 or 3 throws mastered out of 65?? why? specialization. It's a technique that they KNOW they can make work when they have the opportunity at least more than half of the time. Of course, you learn the other throws, but you mainly work with your main 8 (pick 1 throw you like for each of the 8 directions) and of those 8, you have your big 2 or 3.

your first mistake is that tae bo is not a style.... Don't be so ignorant.

To add more to that, there is no "most deadly style" Ultimately that is gonna depend on the fighter and how he's trained.

People think that the style makes the fighter but I believe the fighter makes the style. Let's say Bruce Lee was the best fighter ever does that make JKD the best system ever? NOPE For Bruce was it best? Possibly. You need to take into account that certain systems work better for certain people that is all. If you take a fighter like Mike Tyson and teach him Muay Thai does that mean he won't be good at it? NOPE he's a fighter so no matter what system he learns he is going to be a great fighter.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!