• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey i've been on this forum for quite some time and i've decided to learn Boxing, Tae Kwon do, and a little bit of san shou wrestling. do you think this combination would be effective for self defense?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly No.

TKD is usually taught as more of a sport. Not to say it can't be used for SD but its not MT by any menas.

Boxing is taught with gloves. In the street you don't have gloves so Boxers tend to break their hands a lot when fighting without gloves on.

Thats not to down Boxing or TKD any because both are super arts but both are more sport than combat.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I tend to agree with the above post. Having said that TKD may be a bit more sporty but they still have techniques that should be respected. I would think as well that most of the difference between arts that train for tournies and arts that train for street would only be recognized by other martial artists. I know there are some occasions that would prove that statement wrong though.

Michael Smith

To make Boxing Street effective you may need to Train with a very very Dirty fighter, who teachs you how to use all the tools of boxing in real street fights.

Someone with rind AND street fighting experiences who can teach you how to hit without your gloves so you don't break your hands and things like that.

One needs to define what qualifies as "effective". Would a competition-level boxer take his BJJ or MT equivelent in an octagon or a street fight? Probibly not. Would a competition-level boxer be able to use his skills in a street fight? Probibly. Would those skill make him likely to win? In general, yes.

One need not have the best partial art or art combination in order to effectively defend one's self (though, of course, it does work better that way).

If the best exercise is "the one you will actually do", then the same must be said for a martial art.

OTOH, I see yet another person (assuming he's sincere) who apparently does nothing and who has simply decided which arts he will try (and three of them at that).

Why don't you go find a good school in an art that intrestest you. Study there for a while then see of you want to find another to cross-train. I'd recommend highly against gofing from not training to trying to take 3 diferent arts (unless you are discussin a school that teaches the three together).

To make Boxing Street effective you may need to Train with a very very Dirty fighter, who teachs you how to use all the tools of boxing in real street fights.

I agree however i have found through my training that the combat effecient training is very rewarding when it comes to a real fight but i have also found the mind as being the most important tool. I was doing JKD religiously at one point and after class i would walk outside to find ppl walking more or less in slow motion(hard to explain). Its as if ur peace at mind helps u to see alot more clearly, whats funny is after one class i remember getting into a confrontation and it finished as quick as it started but i didnt remember a thing about the fight i just remember he agressed and thats it then he was on the floor and i was over him :-? The guy was three times my height aswell,srry to go kinda off topic but i think through ur training that u should find that effectiveness does not come in the hands of the style more or less in your mind. I also agree with jerry dont try to train in every MA at once but i also disagree because it has given me IMO a broader view of MA's. Do what ur heart tells u and what u really wanna train for,competition,fighting,self-development ect..... Any advice i can give is to flow with change that envolves everything from life to MA, there is a Tai chi saying " The stiff branch will break in the wind but the blade of grass will yield and live to see another day" GOODLUCK :wink:

KEEP TRAINING AND ALWAYS WORK HARD AT IT! :karate:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

I would say the combination would def. work. I train in TKD and feel it is a pretty good self defense system. Some of the stuff you wouldn't use but the basic kicks and such will. Boxing is a great art. If you don't agree then fight a boxer. Just don't take on too much that you get confused.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!