• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

full contact TKD

:idea:are you on the right thread here bro?

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, i came here to see how TKD people go about their doing their art. Its just weird people are afraid to take hits. You are recieving instruction in an art that is designed to strike and kick yet you have to wear all that armor. A cup, some gloves, mouth piece, and for you kickers i guess you could use those boots, but why?

okay you must be new to inquiring about taekwondo or very misinformed..instead of writing this whole paragraph again explaining the "armor" go up to the sixth post here then come back>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>done allright then...the reason for cup and mouth guards should be obvious when you say full contact...you do feel those strikes and ocassionally competittors do get hurt seriously or sometimes even killed in these type of events...by the way gloves and boots are not worn since your name is forever learning i hope you live up to that name here..and welcome to the forum

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-10-25 22:16 ]

Javier l Rosario

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 1 month later...

what tournaments are you talking about?..ball and heel most certainly are used all the time

Javier l Rosario

obvouisly youve never been in a full contact taekwondo match..there plenty of full contact kicks which hurt...and while no punching to the face is allowed..its still a tough game.. that is why i choose to call it enhanced point fighting instead..there are many other rules..thats just a fact ...nobdy can compare something like a cage match with taekwondo..but dont believe for a second you dont feel full contact when fighting in sport taekwondo

Javier l Rosario

I want to address that quote of foreverlearnings' : "Its just weird people are afraid to take hits. You are recieving instruction in an art that is designed to strike and kick yet you have to wear all that armor. A cup, some gloves, mouth piece, and for you kickers i guess you could use those boots, but why?"

I have taken tae kwon do for three and a half years now, as well as hap ki do. And no one there has ever been afraid to take hits. And as for wearing the gear, what good will getting knocked out do you? The speed of the incoming attacks doesn't change, so you are still getting prepared for real life situations.

And I also believe a healthy fear of getting hit is a requirement in real fights. If you don't fear getting hit, you could get too confident in your abilities and make mistakes. Of course for that matter, if you aren't afraid of getting hit, why would you need to learn an art of self defense? lol. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I don't try to understand, it would be a waste of time. Instead I only try to understand.

In reply I have been to a "full contact tkd match" what I said was how can you call it full contact without punches to the face. It seems to me that a tkd stylist misses something if facial punches are not allowed when sparring. How do you compensate for this when it could happen in a real self defence situation. I am not being a jerk i am just asking a tkd stylist to explain.

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

As a TKD student this is something I wonder about also. How do they do it in other arts? Do you pull the punch or aim slightly off ie forehead instead of nose to avoid serious injury? While I dont exactly relish the idea of a right cross to my face in practice I would prefer it was done there then "on the street".

I should say that we do punches to the face in drills, just not in sparring at my school.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare