full contact TKD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chest pad has the little targets on it so that they judges can score points.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

...some tournaments require that you wear the full chest protector that has colored circled targets for point sparring.

I use one of those "madonna-looking" chest protectors that honestly doesn't protect the ribs....(I know because I've had bruised ribs from sparring even with this type of protector)

Deby

the "chest protecters" or hogu in korean is just for keeping score it really offers very little protection its basically a thin peice of canvas or leather with a thin foam on the inside...so you do feel those kicks..the older hogus had the dots some companies still make them but for official events its basically the red or blue stripe and this is the scoring or target area..as for the head gear the same thing not much protection it is a thin foam material and is actually worn to avoid further injury when a competitor is knocked out..preventing him/her from cracking thier skull open on the gym floor..(i actually witnessed this happen to a guy in the days before head gear was mandatory)official events now require a mat surface ring similar to those used in wrestling macthes...groin cup..mouthpiece..shin..and elbow guards are now mandatory equipment... :smile:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

I read in the TKD rules of my brother's place while he was training. One rule really struck me as strange "no kicking with the shin". Is this true in olympic TKD? I guess they must know that the shin really hurts to get kicked with.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

yes that is true the only areas allowed to strike are the entire foot and only reverse punch with the fist and at that only to the midsection of the body :cry:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 1 month later...