• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Wrestlers are effective on the street.

Can you please state your experience in wrestling and in other martial arts BK?

Any fool can pull off a move like a side kick from Karate, a wrist lock from Aikido, a cut kick from MT or a move from wrestling. But to actually have the power and skill to use such a move under a REAL COMBAT environment is completely different from a couple of kids fights in the school yard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oy, as much as I hate to say it, that technique COULD have been pulled off by anyone that watches the wwe...being caught in a headlock like that, I'd be looking to slam the guy any way I could, and just standing up and dropping the guy on his head would be my first reaction...if I didn't know better counters. :D Still, gotta love it. Wonder if the guy who got caught in the suplex went for a steel chair after he got right up... ;)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Really all he did was pick the guy up and arch himself backwards... he was already in just the right place for it. I don't know if just anyone would think to do something like that in the midst of a pummeling, and it did look like he'd done it before, but I would think a sloppier version of it could at least be pulled off by most people. Edited by omnifinite

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

like kensai said..most people could "do it"..just like any person can kick or punch or knee or elbow..that dosent mean they are good at it like a fighter is...same applies here.

How about, "most non-wrestler fighters could do that without special training"

I train karate, and it looks like the sorta thing I'd go for, close up and all, an instinctual type move. I could be wrong, but I have never been wrong before.

Any fool can pull off a move like a side kick from Karate, a wrist lock from Aikido, a cut kick from MT or a move from wrestling. But to actually have the power and skill to use such a move under a REAL COMBAT environment is completely different from a couple of kids fights in the school yard.

Exactly!!!

Theoretically, take someone who has done Martial Arts for years, but only ever done kata/forms, never any sparring. They have mastered (technically speaking) the moves through the practice of their kata/forms.

Now put them in a sparring situation for the first time and watch how they react. They won't have any timing to block real strikes and kicks, their attempts at counter measures will be off. I think Bruce Lee was one that stated "you must spar" kata is not enough.

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

Terry Bogard:

well i cant watch the movie for some reason but it sounds like the guy was in a headlock and did a vertical suplex, is that right?

No, he did a back drop.

"Osu!"