• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kama speed

I've been getting back into practicing with the kamas again. I'm right-handed, and one thing I've noticed is that my left hand performs kama spins at a MUCH slower speed than my right hand.

Other than repetition and lots of practice, how can I increase my left hand's speed? Any help would be appreciated :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I had the same problem years ago. What I did was just practice with the left kama only. Whenever I was home I would grab one kama use it in my left hand and spin it that way. Some people can only spin the left one if they have the right one spinning also. Try that. Also if you can find another kama that is a bit heavier that will help also.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

May I ask what you mean when you say 'spinning'?

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

The main problem is with my forward and backward rolls.

Forward roll: kama tips forward and to the outside, comes back to the upright position.

Backward roll: Kama leans back and to the outside, continues into the upright position.

So technically they're rolls, but I call them spins. Does that clear things up?

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Right, that clears things up. I don't 'do' spins, you see - hence the reason for my misunderstanding.

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

I dont know how much this might help but it helped me in the past for weapon speed. Master Choi told us that the best way to make your wrists quick and fingers stronger to pull the weapon is to do finger pushups. Try and see if it helps. Let me know if it does.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

Monkeygirl what type of Kama are you using? Are you using the Mike Chat Kamas? If it is for competition that is prob. your best bet. Another thing to try is to interlock your fingers together (without the kama) and rotate your wrists. This will help increase the flexibility in your wrists and will help spin the kama. Also when spinning the kama make sure to have it tucked into the web between your thumb and index finger.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

As I'm a drummeer sharing some of my experiences from that sort of practice might help.

A problem for beginning drummers (and drummers throughout their careers) is to achieve balanced speed for the hands. When playing grooves and fills we often talk about right hand and left hand lead. What happens, is that when i play a difficult/fast pattern I'm most likely to start off with my fastest hand.( in my case the right hand) The trick is to be mindful of this and start off with the "weak hand" Hope this helps

Read a book!