• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

point karate

Prodigy-Child

I've been doing it for 10 years and consider it more like tag, your it :sleep:

It can be called that, sure, but it can have it's purposes. It can teach you to look for openings and it makes you use combinations to get there. We had to points spare for our 6th, 5th and 4th kyu so that we could demonstrate that we knew how to create openings and opportunities.

It's a good way to learn how to move and prepare for "continuous" sparring. But in competition, it's a much too unrealistic way (for adults) to compete in kumite, since they stop a fight after even a potential "point" was scored, whether it had any effect or not.

Continuous point sparring, where competitors keep going, without stoppage for point calling, would be much better. Judges can keep tabs during the rounds, and call accumulated points after the round is done.

Too often, point-fighting competitors think they've scored a point, then stop, showboat, and (!!!) turn their backs and walk away from the fight. That's ridiculous, but happens all the time. Or even worse, as I described in an earlier post, they bounce and feint for the majority of the "fight" waiting to sneak in a "clean" point. It's a game of tag, and only very remotely prepares anyone for what might actually occur in a fight outside of the dojo.

Again, though, it IS a nice way for kids to spar in competition, though.

-RB

Sensei Russell Bianca

Brooklyn Kenshikai Karatedo

421 5th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11215

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, point sparring has many disadvantages or cons. I believe, nowadays, it is for "youthful exuberance".

From what I've heard it kind of always was. Back last century when it was cooked up the old masters were damn near baffled why the kyu were so intent on figuring out who had the least worst technique but it was either come up with something or abandon all hope of ever seeing sun dome span a generation.

Not that it stopped WUKU. :lol:

we all have our moments