• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

point karate

Prodigy-Child

I do believe point sparring is something we occidentals have done to ancient and nobel arts.

It is however, one of the few ways for students to test their skills.

And It has proven to be a crowd pleasing form of entertainment. Where would the arts be today if it werent for the point fighting matches in the 60's that exposed many to the arts for the first time.

in a better place(less commercial ism)

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would argue anyone who says point sparrinng is a complete wate of time. While it is not a real street fight what is ? Full contact and NHB is a misnomer, there are hold and strikes that aren't allowed and usually have some sort protective gear allowed. Not a street fight not even close but I would agree that it is a closer simulation than point sparring. The main benefit of point sparring (ask rick roufus)

is the ability to time you technique just so, that you can hit someone unware increasing the chance of a knock out regardless of the art.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• 7 years later...
I've been doing it for 10 years and consider it more like tag, your it :sleep:

You hit the nail on the head. It's a game of tag.

Points can be scored, even if they would have done little or no damage to your opponent. I watched a high-level JKA tournament where 3/4 of the fight was nervous bouncing back and forth, by both finalists, waiting to score a single point. It was maddeningly boring and pales in comparison to the effectiveness and watchability of say, a Kyokushin match. I guess for kids, though, it's ideal.

-RB

Sensei Russell Bianca

Brooklyn Kenshikai Karatedo

421 5th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11215

I've been doing it for 10 years and consider it more like tag, your it :sleep:

You hit the nail on the head. It's a game of tag.

Points can be scored, even if they would have done little or no damage to your opponent. I watched a high-level JKA tournament where 3/4 of the fight was nervous bouncing back and forth, by both finalists, waiting to score a single point. It was maddeningly boring and pales in comparison to the effectiveness and watchability of say, a Kyokushin match. I guess for kids, though, it's ideal.

-RB

It can be called that, sure, but it can have it's purposes. It can teach you to look for openings and it makes you use combinations to get there. We had to points spare for our 6th, 5th and 4th kyu so that we could demonstrate that we knew how to create openings and opportunities.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/