• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This question can be asked about any form of martial arts: "is it effective?".

Honestly, any martial art is effective if your well trained (years of training, etc.), commited, and you understand not only how the art works, but also how it is applied.

Think about it, if it wasn't effective, it wouldn't be a "Martial" Art...

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Aikido Vs .... Idea has been done so so many times.

Aikido's principle reason for existance was not about fighting, but about non violence. It just happens that the techniques can be very unpleasant if you want them to be.

Are you refering to practicing alone?

Of course you can practice the techniques by yourself.

I do it by placing a strip of yellow tape on the floor infront of me (about as long as a persons shoulder width) so I "know" where my Uke's feet/center is. It makes it easier to move about the spot and to getting proper distancing.

You can also practice the rolls and the Jo and Bokken movements.

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

True, but there's no way to learn it on your own. And there's now way to practice using the attackers ki against them if they are not there.

You can practice the motion (after you've been taught by a qualified instructor), but you can't develop the "higher" level understanding of the technique without a partner. IMHO

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

True, but there's no way to learn it on your own. And there's now way to practice using the attackers ki against them if they are not there.

You can practice the motion (after you've been taught by a qualified instructor), but you can't develop the "higher" level understanding of the technique without a partner. IMHO

I understand what your saying, especially since it is crucial to understand that Aikido is very much about using the attackers force against him.

However, the lack of an Uke doesn't mean you can't practice on your own. This doesn't mean try new things you haven't been taught yet or you are still learning. But, take some of the movenments you feel comfortable with and do them slowly trying to make sure you are doing everything (like turning 180, proper hand movements and feet placement, etc.). The reason for this practice is to make it more like a reaction when you need to use it, rather then just going to the Dojo a few times a week and trying to remember what you were taught last time and pausing every few seconds to think about it.

If you can get an Uke to practice with you (maybe even a brother or friend), then it is very benefical, but most of the time you will be on your own...

Just my 2 cents.

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

I understand what your saying, especially since it is crucial to understand that Aikido is very much about using the attackers force against him.

However, the lack of an Uke doesn't mean you can't practice on your own. This doesn't mean try new things you haven't been taught yet or you are still learning. But, take some of the movenments you feel comfortable with and do them slowly trying to make sure you are doing everything (like turning 180, proper hand movements and feet placement, etc.). The reason for this practice is to make it more like a reaction when you need to use it, rather then just going to the Dojo a few times a week and trying to remember what you were taught last time and pausing every few seconds to think about it.

If you can get an Uke to practice with you (maybe even a brother or friend), then it is very benefical, but most of the time you will be on your own...

Just my 2 cents.

That's pretty much what I meant by "You can practice the motion" alone. My art is closer to Hapkido, but a lot of the training is the same. :wink:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.