• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it is true that you can step in to jam the kick while at teh same time blocking it with hands or legs, we do this in wing chun.

i think the concept of aikido is great, and that it is an effective art. however, practicing and sparring is very very important and there is no substitute for it. from my understanding, some aikido schools dont do much of this but there is a more combat orientated version of aikido (forgot the particular name of it) and if you wanna see some of it, just check out some steven seagul movies :D

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

I've seen Aikido in a street fight at a club the guy was 4th Dan, he danced the guy around the room like a monkey by his hand, after the guy grabbed his shirt and tried to punch him. If both people are good and know what style the other is I don't know what the outcome would be. If both just get in a fight on the street, I think the Aikido guy has the advantage and usually Aikido guys don't pick fights.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 2 weeks later...

Aikido is an amazing style, however taisabaki movements require alot of space and distance, which when the opponenet is up to your face in a crowded pub, is scarce. Also it is purely defensive, which although ethically correct is a bit naive in the streets. But other than that it is a useful style but takes along time and alot of thought to overcome the above flaws.

Karate is effective in when used correctly, but finding someone who does use it correctly is very rare.

Who would win, depends on the fighters. :)

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Well, I'm not Kensai (hopefully he'll tell you too), but I have been taking Aikido for a couple of months now and find it mildly physical. What I mean by this is that some aspects don't require a lot of physical movement (heavy cardio stuff) like the different techniques, but then you have to account for the falls and rolling, and the weapons training (Jo and Bokken) which can get somewhat intense.

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

Hikeon3, I have bee training in Aikido for a year this June.

As for the physical side, it really depends. Aikido has a lot of "study" in it. What I mean by this is that the movements are taken apart so that you understand the prinicples of the movement, not just one defence against one attack. Its about getting the right "feeling" with the defence, and trying to obtain one of the 4 prinicples of Aikido with every movement.

My Sensei usually divids the lesson into Ki and Aikido. The Ki sessions are very calming and not physically demanding. However, in the Aikido sessions once we have studied a move for say 30 minutes, we then do Randori. Which does take a lot out of you. Its not just the attacking and defending but all the breakfalling which I usually find the most tiring.

Unlike boxer scott I dont get to do any bokken until Brown Belt (1st kyu) or jo until 1st Dan. :(

Unlike boxer scott I dont get to do any bokken until Brown Belt (1st kyu) or jo until 1st Dan.

Really? What style of Aikido do you take? In Iwama Aikido they start you off the the Bokken right away then the Jo, atleast 2 sessions a week are focused on weapons.

Our instructor explained that it helps with balance, focus, movement, and a number of other factors that apply Aikido.

-Boxer Scott

• Boxing
  • Iwama Aikido

Yeah.

We focus on un armed and ki to start with. I study a style similar to Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido called Ki Aikido. My Sensei says that if you cant handle your own body how can you handle a weapon. To be honest I think both philosphys work, it depends on when you want the weapons. :karate:

From what I've seen in videos (yeah, demo videos aren't that great of a judge) Aikido is extremely combat-effective when:

a) Demonstrated by a long-time student or teacher,

- and/or -

b) Countering punches that are awkwardly thrown by uke in order to give tori an easier time in performing the technique,

Just from what I've seen, mind you. There are no Aikido dojos nearby where I can spectate a class, so I've downloaded videos on the matter. It does look very aesthetically graceful, but I am forced to question its effectiveness vs. most other forms of striking or grappling techniques.