• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I really don't know much about Aikido so I though I'd make a compartive style question out of it. What do you think of Aikido put up aginst Karate?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know much about Aikido so I though I'd make a compartive style question out of it. What do you think of Aikido put up aginst Karate?

Aikido on it's own is not so great . It is a good complimentary art though. It would be a great addition to any art. Karate VS. Aikido, I think that even a Shotokanka would beat a simularly trained Aikidoka. Akido is very limited to defending against hand strikes, but not much else. Aikijutsu on the other hand does not mess around.

Hmm......

Dont really agree with that.............

But I have explained this a few times before in past threads. Look them up if your interested.

No thanks I am closed minded. Anyhow I would not mind learning Aikido, but only as an addition to what I know. On it's own I do not think it would take you far in a fight especially if the attcker can kick.

I think it all depends on what you are being attacked with, and, of course, the skill of the practitioner.

I'm a karate and not not an aikido practitioner, but I have a respect for all of the martial arts. Aikido demonstrations can be rather impressive in showing the effectiveness of the techniques :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Aikido has 2 basic counters to kicks. Its a sort of one size fits all thing. You either Irimi (enter) or tenkan (turn/side step). Its worked with some of my WC mates. I have an amazing book, got it today actually "Aikido and the Competitve egde", it has counters to kicks in it. Really amazing read.

I take Tiger Schulmann's Karate, which is a combination of Karate, Aikido, and Jujitsu. I love TSK, so i guess Karate and Aikido are both great fighting styles. :)

"Osu!"

Aikido has 2 basic counters to kicks. Its a sort of one size fits all thing. You either Irimi (enter) or tenkan (turn/side step).

I assume you mean two types of footwork for the counter? Simply because we learn 3 defenses per kick at the under belt level. I would have thought pure Akido would have a lot more. :-?

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.