• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In kick-boxing you will have a lot of limitations, no kicks below the waist and certainly no training without protection. I would maybe recommend starting with kick-boxing to get a feel of being hit hard, if you dont mind getting bloody and sore then after a while experiment with Muay Thai, so long as you find a good school (like any art) then you will progress well.

The rules and regulations in competition will depend upon which country you are in, UK rules, on a general basis you are not allowed Elbow or knee strikes to the face or head, no spinning back fist or elbows are allowed.

Muay Thai should be taught mostly as one on one, you will only spar with your fists and grapple with a variation of knee strikes that dont damage... the reason behind this is because you dont use protection so to minimise injuries you spar lightly in Muay Thai but usually boxing sparring with the fists is heavy.

Grading is totally different, grades are represented by a small arm band with a buddha image inset, colours represent which level you are at. Grading is not the most important aspect of Muay Thai conditioning the body is!

So long as you find a good teacher and a class which isnt too crowded you should get some good tuition. There are many schools everywhere which in my opinion are only out to make money and that stands for all MA forms. It takes you to ask around, pick up the phone and surf the internet. If you are in the USA then you are in luck, some of the best Thai Fighters ever have went to the USA to train and teach pupils.

Not meaning to be biased I would say Muay Thai and conventional boxing are the forms to learn if defence and attack are what you want to learn.

Muay Thai, it gives more freedom, but if you want the easy one,

kickboxing, and it has more limits

-Boxing -Kickboxing -Muay Thai -Brazilian Juijitsu

Mind is matter, and matter doesn't mind, be-cause matter is in the mind, so mind is over matter.

'Have you ever glued broken glass or shells to your hands wrapped in tape....its an experience...

Check out the local schools and see which you like better. The local Muay Thai gym might not be as tough as the local kickboxing gym for all I know. The school I attend teaches both kickboxing and Muay Thai because not a whole lot of athletes like to risk elbows and knees to the head. Thus those who want to get ring experience need to compete by kickboxing rules.

All the athletes condition themselves very hard be they looking to do muay thai or kickboxing. Don't think that Muay Thai's tougher reputation is always reflective of particular schools.