• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate-sport/fitness/fun

Rich

I would say that i practice mainly for fun and it is a great way of excersize. There may be better ways of excersizing, but none that i would have fun with. I really enjoy the martial arts, and i think that if you have an excersize routine that you actually enjoy then the excersize will pay off more because you won't make excuses not to workout.

Also, for self-preservation - i rely on God for that.

There is always someone who can beat you down in a real fight.

There is no one who can defeat God.

So, my best bet is to trust in Him.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ninjanurse- who's not getting the results they want from their training? I was intrigued by that comment but read all the posts and couldn't see anyone that that applied too. Please explain.

rich

I would say true karate is a great form of exercise, and the techniques that we do have made me stronger, faster, leaner, have more endurance, stamina, and flexibility (did I miss anything?). I am in a fairly traditional club, but I've also competed.

From a strictly female perspective, it builds long lean muscles (very nice :) ). This is one reason why there are so many boxercise and taebo type classes out there...the kicks, punches, pushups, etc WORK.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

Karate was always something I'd wanted to do. Well, technically, it was martial arts in general that I'd always wanted to do, but karate was what I ended up in.

I don't know why I train exactly. Its kind of elusive. At first I just wanted to try it out and see how I enjoyed it. To be honest I didn't really like it at first, but I'd dragged my friend along and she enjoyed it so I thought I'd stick it out until she settled in more and was happy to go on her own. As it turned out, she lasted about 6 weeks then didn't come back, and I just couldn't make myself quit.

Now I go because I enjoy the constant learning, the fact that I'll be able to defend myself slightly better now (if I ever have to) than I would have been able to do without any karate. Most of all though I train because its fun and it gives me a buzz. :karate:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.