MILITARY COMBATIVES

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budo Taijutsu is a great Combat Art based on pragmatic principles as opposed Kata collecting. It was designed for Combat. Also I wouldn't really advise Grappling with a 60 pound pack on your back, when there's a battle going on. I also agree that Krav Maga is great for Combat.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Then go for it, good luck.

it sounds like an assumption that grappler's can't strike,

There are a lot of assumptions made like that in the martial arts:

*Grapplers can't strike- anyone can strike, and some grapplers train their strikes.

*Grappling is no good because submissions don't work in the real world- submissions may or may not work, depending on the situation. But a good grappler can break things, choke you out, or hold you till help arives, among other things.

*I don't study grappling because the last place I want to be in a street fight is on the ground- being in a street fight isn't high on my list of things to do either. But doo-doo occurs, and we train for the mess. If I do go down, I'd like to at least have a chance of getting back up quickly. And it would be nice if he didn't get back up at the same time, so I don't have to worry about him as I face his friend(s).

*Stand up fighters can't grapple- I've recently been looking at a lot of the moves and principles in American Kenpo, and they transfer directly to the ground. In fact, some work better on the ground than in stand up grappling. For instance, an arm break followed by a frictional pull- since you're both at least partially horizontal you have gravity working better for you, whether on botom or top. Also, disrupting his base can better unballance him from a mount than standing up; and checking a leg can prevent him from aquireing a better position.

*Boxers can't kick- they may not do it as well as someone who trains it, but I guarantee they realize they have feet.

*Forms are a waste- in most styles I've seen their forms are the key to a deeper understanding. They teach you the variations and multiple uses of a lot of your moves. To the Chinese, a secret is just something you havn't discovered yet. It is generally up to you to dig out the information in your forms.

*Taiji isn't a fighting art- one of my favorites. Let's just say that ignorance isn't bliss, it's fatal.

*Guns make martial arts obsolete- actually, just the opposite. The principles cross over to all weapons. I'd say the more potent the weapon, the greater the need for training before you either face it or use it.

*You can't fight if you're______(sitting down, in water, 'handicaped', wearing restrictive clothing or equipment, small, large, female, ...)- if you think you may have to fight like any of these, train wearing/doing/being any of them. You might surprise yourself, gain new skills, and maybe even learn more about your art.

There's my opinion, uh huh.

Freedom isn't free!

Study Ninjutsu, it covers every possible scenario you'll ever come across.

*Taiji isn't a fighting art- one of my favorites. Let's just say that ignorance isn't bliss, it's fatal.

Did you mean Tai Chi, because there is a fighting style of you know.

*You can't fight if you're______(sitting down, in water, 'handicaped', wearing restrictive clothing or equipment, small, large, female, ...)- if you think you may have to fight like any of these, train wearing/doing/being any of them. You might surprise yourself, gain new skills, and maybe even learn more about your art.

I think you have an understanding of Martial Arts that many people don't have. I think with your understanding you can look at other MA's and figure out how to make them work better, correct me if I'm wrong DELTA 1.

A.) Did you mean Tai Chi, because there is a fighting style of you know.

B.) I think you have an understanding of Martial Arts that many people don't have. I think with your understanding you can look at other MA's and figure out how to make them work better, correct me if I'm wrong DELTA 1.

a.) Tai Chi (Taiji) Chuan fa is martial Tai Chi. I study Yang Tai Chi Chuan fa. Either spelling is aceptable, though I'd have to check to see what the new standardized spelling is to be more accurate/correct.

b.) Thanks for the compliment. But any understanding I have can be blamed on American Kenpo, which I also study. AK stresses understanding principles. AKers can recognize principles at work in other styles, transfer principles to different situations, and adapt pinciples to deal with problems or disadvantages. It's one of the things I really appreciate about the art.

Freedom isn't free!