• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MILITARY COMBATIVES

THERE IS SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN GETTING TO ME FOR A WHILE NOW,IT'S THE CURRENT HAND TO HAND INSTUCTION FOR THE ARMY.FOR SOME REASON THE TOP BRASS THINKS BJJ IS THE WAY TO GO,NO IT'S NOT I'M SORRY TO SAY.A SOLDIER NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO DEAL WITH AN ENEMY SOLDIER(S)QUICKLY AND EFFECTIVELY,BY LIMITTING THEM TO THE GROUND IT'S A GOOD WAY TO GET THEM KILLED.I KNOW I'M GOING TO GET FLAK OVER THIS TOPIC,BUT IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.AS A SOLDIER I REALLY CAN'T SEE MYSELF ROLLING AROUND WITH ALL MY GEAR ON,WHICH SOMETIMES WEIGHS AROUND 45LBS TO INCLUDE A BUTT PACK FILLED WITH STUFF.YES WE CARRY WEAPONS,BUT I'M FOCUSING ON AN URBAN WARFARE SCENERIO WHICH MEANS CLOSE QUATERS.YOU MUST ALSO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THE GROUND WHICH YOU ARE FIGHTING ON,WEAPONS AT AHND BOTH NAUTRAL AND MANMADE,ONE NEEDS ONLY TO WATCH"SAVING PRIVATE RYAN"TO SEE WHAT I MEAN,I'M REFERIN GOT THE GROUND FIGHTING SCENE.ONE DAY DURING COMBATIVES I ROLLED WITH A GUY WHO STUDIED BJJ,HE TOLD ME HE WAS GOING TO MAKE ME TAP,I REPLIED HE WASN'T GOING TO MAKE ME TAP,HE ASKED WHY I PULLED OUT MYN SPYDERCO AND SAID BECAUSE I JUSTED STABBED YOU IN THE KIDNEY,SEE MY POINT..I WOULD WELCOME OTHER THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC.REMEMBER MAKING AN ENEMY TAP WON'T EARN YOU POINTS..IT MIGHT GET YOU KILLED.. :x

PEACE KEEPING MISSIONS ARE EASY,YOU JUST DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi warmaster

It worried me when I compared the 1992 and 2002 US military CQB manuals. The former used a lot of taijutsu derived techniques and as you said the latter is heavily influenced by BJJ/NHB. It seems that fashion is alive and well in the army too!

Glad there are some soldiers though who have their best weapon working - ie your brain. The best CQB is like any other military manouver- take them by surprise, hit first, hit hard and don't stop until the threat is over. After that there are decent approaches as a back up plan.

Rich

Writing in all caps both makes your thread easier to read, but it also makes you seem more intelligent. Thank you.

Also, I would think that knowing how to use something like BJJ or anything else would be good. You could use your knife when you want, but if unarmed, you could know how to position for a break or choke if needed. Overall, the positioning is nice to understand, for most all CQB engagements.

Just because BJJ is practiced unarmed, doesn't mean that you couldn't apply most of it with weapons.

In many ways it is the marines that have developed the most complete system. Over the course of their career they prceed through the ranks learning more skills done hand to hand as well as with a variety of weapons. The tan belt they leave basic training with is only a start.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLYS,THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT WE NEED A MORE COMPREHENSIVE FORM OF COMBATIVES.I'VE BEEN THROUGH SOME BATTALION LEVEL COURSES EVEN TAUGHT IN SOME OF THEM.MY AREA OF KNOWLEDGE IS KNIFE AND STICK FIGHTING.I'M JUST TIRED OF SEEING SOLDIERS BEING FOOLED INTO BELIEVING THAT THE GRACIE METHOD IS THE BEST SYSTEMOUT THERE.ONCE AGAIN I WELCOME ALL REPLIES.. :)

PEACE KEEPING MISSIONS ARE EASY,YOU JUST DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER....

Yeah, Krav Maga is clearly the superior art for soldiers. I know I wouldn't want to be going to the ground in a potential urban warfare situation.

very true, But Krav Maga does have groundfighting incase it ends up there..it's more of how to either hurt them or get up as quickly as possible though instead of working for a submission.