• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Balisong illegal or legal?

Balisong in CAN or US Legal or Illegal?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Balisong in CAN or US Legal or Illegal?

• Legal
    • Illegal

Ok im a huge fan of filipino weapons such as the balisong(butterfly knife)

I live in Can and it is tremendously illegal, however i find it is a good asset to MA training especially in filipino MA. Whats ur oppinion on that and if u also live where it is illegal why should they change that law.

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Here in Boston they are Illegal. The reason behind it was because of the old New York gangs of the late 70's early 80's. It was a weapon of choice so like everything in this state they ban them. Funny part is though you can buy them at almost any mall.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I really don't see why they should be illegal. Afterall they pose no more threat than a standard pocket knife. I use to own a couple, but they were the cheap easily breakyable, non closing, hard to open, P.O.S. kind.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

It depends on the state in the US. California-illegal. SOME OTHER STATES: not illegal.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Since it's illegal in CA., I must say that it does take some skills to manipulate the balisong. I can flick my folder out just as fast perhaps as a balisong being opened, so I don't understand the need for the balisong to remain illegal. Also, there are folders on the market that are spring loaded like the switchblade, and yet those are legal here.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Since it's illegal in CA., I must say that it does take some skills to manipulate the balisong. I can flick my folder out just as fast perhaps as a balisong being opened, so I don't understand the need for the balisong to remain illegal. Also, there are folders on the market that are spring loaded like the switchblade, and yet those are legal here.

Why is the switchblade illegal anyway?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Agreed. The balisong 'looks' more ferocious and the politicians have deemed it as such. More misconception governing the legislatures.....will it ever end?.......

MA

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Jerry said

and yes, folders are faster than basilongs

Thats not always true jerry i have been using my balisong for awhile now and have seen some pretty fast opening techs, thats is also why it is illegal in most coutries and states like jerry said because of the opening mechanism or ext + retrac. I can open a Balisong in less then a sec manually and im pretty much a beginer with it :bawling:

N e ways thnx for everybodies replies sometimes it takes a bit of understanding by the ppl who govern our countries to be able to understand this kind of dilemma :wink:

:karate: KEEP TRAINING AND ALWAYS WORK HARD AT IT! :karate:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

Thats not always true jerry i have been using my balisong for awhile now and have seen some pretty fast opening techs

And I can open my tactical folder faster than I can clear my pants... a fraction of a second.

Take a look at anything Steve Gartin has put out on deploying tactical folders for an idea. Yes a balisong can be opened quickly, but a tactical folder is faster at the same skill if for no other reason than the shorter distance of movement (90 degrees as opposed to 180), though there are also other reasons.

thats is also why it is illegal in most coutries and states like jerry said because of the opening mechanism or ext + retrac.

No, that's why the clasic "switchblade" with mechanical etensions and retractions is illegal.

Edited by JerryLove