• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My friend needs help in picking a Martial Art

My best friend recently became interested in Martial Arts. However he's not sure what one is good for him. He's a pretty big guy (6 foot) and does alot of weight training. He wants an art that focuses alot on punches but also has alot of good kicking. I advised either Karate or Tae Kwon Do, but I told him I'd post here so that he'd have more opinions from other martial artists.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The arts easily available in our area are: Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Wah Lum (a family version of Praying Mantis Gung Fu), Hapkido and Aikido.

I'm not sure if he's interested in competion, self-defense, etc. I only know so far that he wants one that will suit his body size and personality (agressive).

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

Any Karate style should give him pretty good balance.

However don't focus on the style as much as on the quality of the teacher. Watch as many classes as he can see what he likes then see where he can get the most classes for the best price.

All arts will basically teach the same thing. Some focus on other parts more than others but the teacher will be more important than the art he picks.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Muay Thai is probably the most aggressive art in that list, but that might be more kicking than he's looking for. I'd pick Karate out of that list if it's a good school.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

He might enjoy Hapkido. There's a nice balance of kicks and punches, as well as being practical with adding in throws, takedowns, locks, etc. Of course, if he's interested in competition he'd probably love Muay Thai.

U say he's wants to focus on punching. Then, If there's a boxing gym in ur area I would suggest that. Then add a kicking art to it a little later. thats what I would do anyways.