• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun punch would break knuckles?

I know they're not wielded the same way, I think there is no way to illustrate what I'm trying to say with words.

Think about the footwork and what's happening with your center, your Ki if you will, Kamae, Chi? Your principles behind your body movements are essentially the same, the difference is your distancing, timing, moving subtlly or bigger. I hope this kind explains it a little clearer, if not oh well I guess you have the right to disagree.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is an older topic which I think would be interesting to see what you have to say about it. I had made a post on here a while ago.

Very Respectfully wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

did you mean me???

hey, are you following me???

:)

anyway, my view on the one inch punch...

well, i think it is a demonstration technique but the principles are valid and important. part of it is about being to punch from any range.

in wing chun, the hands are constantly going from one position to another. that is where it's strengths lie, in being able to move form anywhere and in being able to change our intentions.

our attempt at an interception might turn out to be better then expected so we decide to punch from where ever our hand ended up.

this may be with our arm down to the side or it may be from having our arm almost at full extension. whatever the position, we are trained to be able to make a strike from almost any position.

the "one inch2 simply refers to the fact that even at one inch we should be able to act.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I think it is a good punch to certain targets, certainly soft tissue, but the bones for the pinky finger are very weak and in fact are not fully connected to the hand in the same manner the other fingers are. I'm trying to remember his name (which eludes me at the moment) but there was a great master of the martial arts who broke his hand in two places using this to strike a hard surface area. Arguably, conditioning will overcome body weakness, but I personally think it is better suited to rising attacks (due to its upwards energy transfer) to soft tissue areas.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

there's also the fact that you have to realise that like in all chinese arts, there is a lot of training involved in this technique.

knowing and being able to execute a one inch inch punch is almost useless with the proper training and conditioning that goes with it.

right from the start of proper training (by which i mean, you have a good grasp of the basics i.e sil lim tao) the wall bag was a constant feature in our daily routine.

remember, if your hands bleed, your punch is wrong. think back to how long it took before your knuckles stopped bleeding. and that was just to get the basic punch correct. now imaging how long it would take to strengthen the muscles and joints involved with the one inch punch until it is absolutely correct.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."