• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts as a way of life

Hello all,

I post this thread to find out what you think about 'Martial Arts As A Way Of Life'.Many Thai,Japanese,Chinese,South American cultures believe in Martial Arts as a way of life in that it incorporates every day activities.What do you think?

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most martial arts are named to be a way of life eg. Shotokan Karate-do, Okinawan Kobu-do, Kyudo etc..

These are in contrast to the war arts - Karat-jitsu, Ninjitsu, Jiu-jitsu

Its quite simple really :smile:

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

It's not a way of life for me. Martial arts is just my favorite activity. I don't analyze everything I do in terms of martial arts. Martial arts is another skill and tool that I use.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

I'm still as impatiant as ever. It takes too long for the kettle to boil, 2 minutes??? What were they thinking?

Personally, I dont think a modern day lifestyle can incorperate the martial arts into it as anything more than a hobby.

Unless your temple has a TV with sky digital. :grin:

For whatever reason, the environment at the school I attend fosters a good vibe. The instructors have seen to it. It's one large family. Our school operates on a premise that after a while, one will be seek honesty of the mind and heart. Everyone helps everyone else. It's a great thing. After spending much time there, the attitudes rub off, thus one can take things to the outside world and be able to use them.

I've learned a lot about myself being involved in the martial arts. It has allowed me to grow as a person...and not just physically.

*end of testimony* :razz:

WADOGUY........gives a good discription of the other side of the way......and i agree with him..............TS757...i'm sure you have learned some patience due to the fact that, i'm sure, you just don't run into your opponent without some kind of premeditated attack/defense stratagy.

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

The Martial Arts have been IN my life for two thirds of it (since i was 6 and am now 18). Yet i don't base it as my way of life. I mean i know i can go out and feel safe and protect other people but i don't refer to it every day. I'm still the biggest loudmouthed fool in the state, i love to drink, swear, and wrestle around. I i luuuuuurve my women!

I can't think of any way that it has significantly shaped the way i live, appart form the self defense and fitness factor.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

You just can't drink, sware and wrestle around here! :smile: lol j/k

The first two sentences in Angus's post: Exactly. It is in your life, it is not the way of life. You live your life as you see fit.