• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Countering the BJJ fighter

All you really have to worry about is that double leg take down

or a..

Single leg..or a hip toss....or a shoulder throw....or them pulling you into gaurd...or a sweep...or the billions of other ways to get someone on the ground...a double leg is usually a wrestlers choice...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Single leg..or a hip toss....or a shoulder throw....or them pulling you into gaurd...or a sweep...or the billions of other ways to get someone on the ground...a double leg is usually a wrestlers choice..."

In my case it really depends on how big and strong the guy is, I'm pretty heavy and can grapple, the double leg is the hardest in my opinion. If you feel yourself being take in double leg take down don't fight it, relax with it, it will cause the attacker to over shoot, and you can take advantage of it.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

MSPav, I'm not sure what techniques you are referring to when you talk about both hands being required.

Heya Johnny. I'm afraid that I can't tell you the techniques by name, though I guess I could give you a step-by-step description. As I said, I'm no BJJ expert, and what I do know wasn't taught to me in a class. The moves that were shown to me involved trapping your opponent's arm/hand/etc and often used both of your hands to grab one of his, which is not necessarily a big deal.

Also, what do you mean the techniques require the opponent to hold still so we can complete our set-up ?

Actually, this is a common complaint about many MA techniques for self-defence. There are a lot of moves that you might be shown in class that only work in class, because your designated assailant isn't doing everything they can to hit you, unlike they guy you fight when you really need the techniques to work. The defense against knife attcks in other MAs are especially bad for this. BJJ has a few takedowns that just seem to take too long to set up for my liking. You need to be much faster than your attacker, or else your attacker needs to be patient while you get organised to throw him around.

MSPav wrote "The moves that were shown to me involved trapping your opponent's arm/hand/etc and often used both of your hands to grab one of his, which is not necessarily a big deal. "

Are you talking about standing or on the ground ? Please specify what exactly you're trying to achieve and from what position. Using two hands on one is smart - especially on the ground.

MSPav also wrote" There are a lot of moves that you might be shown in class that only work in class, because your designated assailant isn't doing everything they can to hit you, unlike they guy you fight when you really need the techniques to work. ... BJJ has a few takedowns that just seem to take too long to set up for my liking. "

I find this statement to be totally untrue. All of the takedowns are based on what works - not what we'd like to think work. The takedowns are all based on getting in to the clinch and getting your opponent down without being hit.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt