• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Countering the BJJ fighter

well, being a bjj person myself, i would say the best thing to do to counter is (with timing and precision) knee the crap out of thier face. Thats always been my #1 concern. Muy thai, kickboxing, just use the knee. This is one of many, so dont go all crazy on me. Sprawling by the by, is kickin your legs back....but if you dont know any grappling, it wont do you much good considering you dont know where to go from there.....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if he is good a BJJ then he should know how to counter a Guillotine..but i agree that I would proabaly attempt one if i got ahold of him.

"learn bjj..it's the only way your going to beat"

I disagree, I think BJJers although Amazing fighters, have a limited stand up game. So, I think may of them would want you on the ground. So if you take that into consideration, then I would prepare lots of evasions against such attacks.

Also, although BJJ is great at ground work, I think Judo and Wrestling have a very good ground game and so learning bjj is not the only answer.

Judo is great, but tends to limit groundwork, depending on the school you are at. From what I've experienced though, the avg bjjer would kill the avg judoka on the ground.

Umm, DONT GO THE THE GROUND! :D

I would say sprawl. Or take a natural posture like the basic Aikido stance. 60% weight on the back leg, then pivit out the way, and take a throw or pin. However, its not as easy as it sounds.

ALOT harder than it sounds, unless you've got some distance on him, in which case, his timing was probably off in the first place. also, he may still have the chance to switch to a single leg, a pick or some other takedown.

One of the previous posts said the best defense against BJJ is a good kicking approach to damage your opponent before he can get a hold of you. Someone else stated a kneeing approach.

IMO, the best is to cross train in the basic types of MA

• striking/kicking/blocking
  • throwing
  • grappling
  • locking

You REALLY need to cross train in all of the above, regardless of the style you are in. If you lack any of the above list, then you are somewhat vulnerable to that technique.

Kung Fu - Orange Sash *Last attended 1998

Tetsu Hei(MMA) - White Belt

Aikido - White Belt

Ju-Jitsu - White Belt

• striking/kicking/blocking
  • throwing
  • grappling
  • locking

You REALLY need to cross train in all of the above, regardless of the style you are in. If you lack any of the above list, then you are somewhat vulnerable to that technique.

Good thing the Jujutsu style I'm in covers all of these quite thoroughly.

For all of you dyed in the wool strikers, I recommend learning just enough grappling and defense to allow you to be comfortable throwing your techniques.

If you hold back out of fear of the takedown, you may as well lie down for them.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.