• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bigguy,

Are you looking for Kungfu as a pursuit of martial arts or as a way to lose weight?

If it is the first, go for it and you will lose weight as a bonus. In addition, you will hopefully learn to manage your larger frame far more efficiently than most skinny folk. This will carry over as you lose weight.

If you're looking at it from a pure aerobic workout perspective, it won't work alone. You'll need to combine stuff like proper diet and additional exercise as well if you want real results to occur. Truth is, I gained weight in my first year of MA, and not in a good way. 2 hours of class late at night wore me out, and i usually ended up eating even more to "compensate" for it.. Truth be told, I was overcompensating.

But would I worry about being too heavy? Nope. Everyone has their challenges, and yours are your own. Others will have knee problems, poor coordination, arthritis, etc. Being aware, working around them and overcoming them is part of the essence of martial arts.

Good luck.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone Thank you for your advice I appreciate you maturity in helping me with this issue. I will be considering further what I should do. I have already gotten with my doctor about my wieght and may have to have surgery to correct the problem. If this is the case it will put Kung fu on hold until after the recovery. Either way I will be pursuing this further. Once again thanks for all lof your help.

Samo Hung in Martial Law was one of my favorite shows by the way.

BigGuy

The most important thing is form and skill, unlike other martial arts, Wing Chun at least doesn't need a supreme level of fitness as a prerequsite. As long as you can stand up and move your arms, your pretty much there! Standing in the classic Wing Chun stance will develop your body power and to some extent tone some of your body. If you've not been physically active before this and intend on going to Kung Fu soon, at least stretch daily, after a few days of vigourous stretching, you will feel so different, plus it will help you enormousely in Wing Chun

The most important thing is form and skill, unlike other martial arts, Wing Chun at least doesn't need a supreme level of fitness as a prerequsite. As long as you can stand up and move your arms, your pretty much there! Standing in the classic Wing Chun stance will develop your body power and to some extent tone some of your body. If you've not been physically active before this and intend on going to Kung Fu soon, at least stretch daily, after a few days of vigourous stretching, you will feel so different, plus it will help you enormousely in Wing Chun.

Recently I was talking to Kyoshi at our Dojo about this. He wondered why people think they have to be in shape before they join Karate.

His thinking was that one should not use their "shape" as an excuse not to join. MA will help get a person into shape for sure.

Any of the bigger people I have seen that are seriously committed to doing MA have lost weight in the course of their training and I think had a lot more fun than spending time in a gym.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

It's not a question of if I will join but when.

Right now I am getting with my doctor and maybe considering surgery. If thats the case I will wait until after the recovery so I don't have to start and then stop for a while. If not then I will probably join real soon.

I've seen a lot of heavy guys in the movies and in some demonstrations and stuff. I really just wanted an outside oppinion on the subject and you all came thru just fine. Thanks. Ill keep you up to date.

BG

BigGuy