• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was just wondering if anyone knows any fat guys doing Kung Fu.

I have always wanted to do kung fu but now I have gotten pretty big(390)

WIll this help me loose weight or should I loose weight first.

Just curious

Thanks

BG

BigGuy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can do Kung Fu, though there will be some things you probably won't be able to do, btu you can make up for it with others you can do better. If a fat guy is in the right stance, they can be pretty damn solid.

They also havea lot of weight behind punches, and throws, etc.

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -

I would say join the class and try it out. Go at your own pace and I can bet you'll amaze yourself. At my school there was a parent who was over 350lbs. She was so inactive and she would bring her daughter to class and eat while class was going on. My instructor was always yelling at her telling her to take the cardio class. Well she finally gave in and started the class. She did EXTREMELY well and after a month or so was able to keep up with the rest of the class. She felt better about herself and started eating better and working out 2 days a week. I don't know how much weight she lost but it totally changed her life. Now she is still training and looks amazing. I mean she is still overweight but not grotesque as she once was and her self esteem has skyrocketed. You have nothing to lose but so much to gain.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Hey Big Guy

Look at some of the Chinese masters- some are big guys too. There are those that think a larger size/ pear shape is best. Now I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with all this- I think your health is the most important and you need to do what you think best in that regard but its encouraging to know your size doesn't prevent you from being a good MA.

Take care and just start like the others have said.

Rich

There are plenty of masters of the internal arts who are overweight. It's irrelevant to their abilities and accomplishments... their power comes from somewhere else.

Here's an example that comes to mind:

http://www.energyarts.com/lores/library/masters/wang.html

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

there are some pretty big guys at my td school. i think you can do it and it will help you out alot. it will most likely be hard at first, what isn't?, but it will get easier and the lbs should shed soon. it might be more of a challenge than a mad that weighs 125, but just keep pushing yourself!

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt