• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you get women to sparr in the same way you do males. you say right mits and pads on find a partner similar hight similar belt bow right leg back and hajimai

watch out for that bus, what bus? splat!

• 1 month later...

I don't know. Different women have different attitudes toward sparring. One of my Black Belts hates sparring and only does it because she has to. On the hand, one of my red belts loves to spar.

I think, first and foremost, the skills and technique must be there. They must understand basic kicking and steps before they can apply them in class. I can't tell you how many people I've seen who can't even kick right or do steps to start with, and they expect their technique to be effective?

I think after they practice sparring with different classmates, it becvomes a question of finding their strengths and working on their weaknesses. Shorter students are probably going to have more success with middle kicks and lateral movement. Then practice powerful middle kicks until your middle side and roundhouse is something to be feared.

The BB mentioned before is working on her back sidekick in a way that she can contact at the same time her opponent attacks, so that she doesn't have to back up and give him room. I've seen her almost break the ribs of bigger males this way.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

Women don't want to spar because they don't know how to defend themselves. When I first started Karate, I didn't know the defenses, nevermind the attacks. I would just want to learn the defense part, then attack. Now you can't stop me, they say I'm a tiger, lol

Women also tend to dislike sparring for a couple of reasons, I've found:

1. Since many women are taught to shun confrontation and violence, it is not surprising that free fighting, the most confrontational aspect of class Tae Kwon Do, tends to make them nervous. Many women do not have the warrior mindset that would allow them to free fight and defend themselves effectively.

2. I think many Instructors subconsciously or not steer women away from free fighting and into forms-the more graceful activity. Guys are perceived as the free fighting stars and encouraged to pursue that activity. Keep in mind, I'm not condoning it, just stating what I have observed and believe to be true. In our organization, many people know who the star male fighters are, but I doubt if any know who the best female fighters are. Personally, I'm proud of the fact that one of my female students loves to spar and contact. In fact, one of my male students was complaining about the fact that she hits him too hard. :D

My opinion-Welcome to it.