• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Went to watch another class at my dojo today.

BKJ1216

I got bored so I went to watch another class there today. I noticed somethign that I hadn't before. The Dojo is extremely japanese. I saw one of the instructors who was not japanese obviously english speaking talking to a kid named daniel and he kept calling him danile-san. They counted in japanese. Greeted eachother in japanese. Practicially all of the language except the teaching was done in japanese. Is your dojo like this?

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my dojo, they count in japanese when practicing kicking, punching etc. But never "daniel-san". Obviously, all the techniques have japanese names, and maybe this has some implication on it. I also know that, in some dojos(including mine) a yellow belt requirement is being able to count to ten in japanese, which I think is a good idea, to help keep the tradition a little ya know?

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

Wish my school offered japanese, I hear alot about japanese being offered in american schools, funny there isnt more in Canada, seeing as how there's more Japanese then there is Canadians.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

My classes are done in Korean. Well the counting and the techniques. I think some stuff is supposed to be said in Korean, but my instructor doesn't stress it (like sah bum nim = instructor). So it's not weird for schools to use the language of the country their art came from. It's pretty normal.

Laurie F

ive been looking for a dojo that traditional for a long time and have yet to find one, nice catch!

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty