• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting spirit

Ghost

Yes but i dont think you can compare the things in personal life to a real fight.

The intencity is differen. With everyday things you can back off a bit and think "i dont want to do this anymore" in a fight you cant do this you have to be totally commited.

How does this all pertain to a karate club?

You can teach someone to fight, but how can you teach spirit? Learning karate to many peoples dismay is not going to turn a 90lb weakling into

Rambo or a Samauri.

My definition of spirit is mental toughness combined with a thick-headed stubborness not to give up no matter what. It requires a bit of personal selfishness where you will not and sometimes can not let anyone get the best of you. Used properly it can help you achieve many goals in life, it

can also turn a person into a total_____________.

IMO either you have it or you don't.

Uhmmm got to agree and disagree here............yes you are right with the way most martial arts are now taught. However I couldnt disagree enough if you are talking about originations and how some still are.

I am part of a very unique school where all of this is taught, it is primary focus, except you arent told that at first. Martial Arts is a tool, and not just for fighting. If you are taught by a true master you will develop all the things you are talking about without the arrogance. Those with it are the mistakes, something has gone wrong, not the successes.

The stubborness is not born from ego but from another area altogether completely detached from this.

Sorry if this is all a little vague but obviously I am not going to come on here and preach.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you are right that you can't teach fighting spirit but you can certainly develop your spirit, and karate is an excellent way to do that.

Having said that, I doubt that the person who doesn't have at least a spark of the "fighting spirit", would stick around in a dojo for long anyway (at least not in a traditional one).

Training to black belt and beyond is hard work, teaching properly - even harder. Bringing that spark of fighting spirit into full flame is something to be proud of indeed, and something a good Sensei can certainly help with. I am not a Sensei, so all I can do is try to be a good example.

:)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse