• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

13yr old masters!!!!!!!!!

I don't put much stock in that statement. Only because you can knock yourself out by running into a shelf, standing up to fast in a hot room, or frankly just having a glass jaw.

Nothing is ever 100% TURE or false.

Kids don't drive cars because they are not consided mature enough to control such a dangerous machine. Kids are not allowed to vote because they don't understand the platforms people run on. (This is not to say adults do) However I think a kid should not be given a black blet under the same reasons.

Kids are not allowed to do that because older people who don't understand everyone make an assumption that they spread over a general age. Everyong is unique. And another thing I'm sick of everyone thinking that every kid who sees something on TV or hears something in music or plays a game, is going to run out and do whatever they saw on tv, heard on the music, or played ont he video game.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AndrewGreen

I am a teacher so I do know a bit about judging mental development.

1. Can the teach and explain kata?

2. Do they know the history and development of your art?

3. Do they understand how the body moves and works and why certin moves work and others don't based on size, speed, muscle, etc.

4. Do they have good people skills?

5. Are they mature, do they handle themselves like a blackblet should according to your schools moral code.

*This list goes on....

Can I hold my own?

My lil bro is 6'8 300 and plays OL at WVU. Can I beat him up. Is that what your asking? I've never met Shaq but I have learned that anyone can be choked out, and a knee or ankle kick can bring down the biggest of men or women. So size don't matter but physical maturity does.

Their acomplishment will be noticed when they reach a certin age. Things you work for and takes time you tend to think more of them. To many people are given stuff IMO. Tell people no once in a while. MA is about respcet and if you have to wait you will respect it more. Much less other will respect you more and you will respect your teachers more for making you work for it.

You made a few statements that I got lost on. YOu said don't give them a belt. I don't if they don't earn it they don't pass. With that said I tell everyone I will never have a black belt under me under the age of 16. Thats on the table from day one I don't care who you are or your dad is and how much money he is willing to give me.

You also said something about what do you test for if its a preformance based art meaning you do it as part of a demo team or something it sounds to me its more like Gymanstics or Cheerleading. I guess you want me to go to school Monday and give our cheerleades black belts becasue they can do splits and turn backflips. (Don't sound much like karate to me.)

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree on the video game and music thing. Don't know how that got into this converstaion but my only point is that kids should not have black belts that are the same as adult black belts.

JR Ranks and stuff are differant.

Im going to shut up now because I figure this thread has gotten to hot and will be closed before long. LOL

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

AndrewGreen

I am a teacher so I do know a bit about judging mental development.

What do you teach? or are you just referring to karate?

1. Can the teach and explain kata?

2. Do they know the history and development of your art?

3. Do they understand how the body moves and works and why certin moves work and others don't based on size, speed, muscle, etc.

4. Do they have good people skills?

Why can't a 13 year old know this?

5. Are they mature, do they handle themselves like a blackblet should according to your schools moral code.

*This list goes on....

Completely subjective.

Can I hold my own?

My lil bro is 6'8 300 and plays OL at WVU. Can I beat him up. Is that what your asking? I've never met Shaq but I have learned that anyone can be choked out, and a knee or ankle kick can bring down the biggest of men or women. So size don't matter but physical maturity does.

Size does matter, which is why those kids can't fight. An 8 year old can choke out an adult, they just would not be able to position themself to do so because of their size disadvantage.

Their acomplishment will be noticed when they reach a certin age. Things you work for and takes time you tend to think more of them. To many people are given stuff IMO. Tell people no once in a while. MA is about respcet and if you have to wait you will respect it more. Much less other will respect you more and you will respect your teachers more for making you work for it.

Time - Take 4 years if you start at 30, but 12 years if you start at 6, no matter how good you are.

Respect - Respect to the kids to acknowledge their abilities.

You made a few statements that I got lost on. YOu said don't give them a belt. I don't if they don't earn it they don't pass. With that said I tell everyone I will never have a black belt under me under the age of 16. Thats on the table from day one I don't care who you are or your dad is and how much money he is willing to give me.

I said why give it to them if it is not performance you are testing as testing other things is subjective. If it is a mental thing then they shouldn't need the belt. Belts where designed to seperate competitors.

You also said something about what do you test for if its a preformance based art meaning you do it as part of a demo team or something it sounds to me its more like Gymanstics or Cheerleading. I guess you want me to go to school Monday and give our cheerleades black belts becasue they can do splits and turn backflips. (Don't sound much like karate to me.)

Sure, why not.

But their are different types of performance.

Tank Abbot performed poorly in his UFC comeback.

Sport karate, wushu, Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA - all performance based, but very different sort of performance.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

This thread has given a lot of good information and viewpoints. However, it's going in circles, and getting pretty heated as it goes.

So it's a nice read, but the thread is closed.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.