• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem, too traditional!

If you can break three brick slabs, imagine what you should (theoretically) be able to do to someone's sternum...

Most of what is not intierly correct, a human is much more than a slap of dead weight, humans can yield to an att, my friends ninjitsu teacher can take a sever punch fullpower! by four more than large men to the neck :lol: And suffers no damage :-?

"We must not limit ourselfs to our pre-conceived fixed notions"-TRUTH-

"Boards don't hit back" -Bruce Lee-

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Kajusan! My Budo Taijutsu instructor takes full contact blows to the sternum, he sort of moves in slightly snuffing the blow. I've hit him pretty hard, I weigh close to 240lbs and can throw a pretty devastating blow, he didn't even flinch. The board breaking training was designed to penetrate armor and rattle the person inside, if you really want to know if you can break bones or a sternum with a punch, buy a dead cow or a pig and hit that.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

If you can break three brick slabs, imagine what you should (theoretically) be able to do to someone's sternum...

Most of what is not intierly correct, a human is much more than a slap of dead weight, humans can yield to an att, my friends ninjitsu teacher can take a sever punch fullpower! by four more than large men to the neck :lol: And suffers no damage :-?

"We must not limit ourselfs to our pre-conceived fixed notions"-TRUTH-

"Boards don't hit back" -Bruce Lee-

Notice I said theoretically. Still, that doesn't render the skill completely useless. I've felt Iron palm strikes before - they hurt.

lol, no boards don't hit back, nor do heavy bags or kick shields, but they are still used.

I didn't know Chinese Styles called it horse stance, there's something in Japanese called "kamae" which basically means stance. You can go in and out of Kamae for power and stability, it is almost identical to Kung Fu stances, but it is not like a horse stance. I agree you can build strength by holding a horse stance for long periods of time, but a ready fighting position is definitely not a horse stance.

Well other styles don't break boards and they are just as effective.

Like I said, nobody is actually supposed to fight from a horse stance - it's transitional. whether or not people are taught right is an entirely different issue. There are several styles that don't break boards - I train bjj, judo and shuai chiao. I don't break boards. I'm just making a case for them.

So basically the"HORSE STANCE" is Traditional and Transitional, thanks for the enlightenment SevenStar. I think maybe right about the horse stance, it's possilbe my Karate teacher wasn't a very good teacher. Sometimes you can have someone who is really proficient at Martial Arts, but can't teach it to save his life.

or visa versa

I wouldn't really use kiba or shika dachi in a fight

sumo stance is more of a leg strengthening exercise. Horse has practicality in it that you will find in the front leg for long fighting stance. It's in case someone tries to kick you in the knee it's pushing your knee out so it doesn't break.

The most used karate stance is short fighting stance, I like it but i widen it and lower myself a little so my centre of gravity is lower.

I do use a variety of other stances though in sparring such as cat and back leaning.

sevenstar said

lol, no boards don't hit back, nor do heavy bags or kick shields, but they are still used.

Very true however the reason i responded in that matter is because u applied it to a human being but in a theoretical sense and that is why i said not entierly true.

Thnx for your insights and keep training and always work hard at it!

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

So basically the"HORSE STANCE" is Traditional and Transitional, thanks for the enlightenment SevenStar. I think maybe right about the horse stance, it's possilbe my Karate teacher wasn't a very good teacher. Sometimes you can have someone who is really proficient at Martial Arts, but can't teach it to save his life.

also keep in mind that the stances are used in some instances as training techniques and endurance exercises for a specific techniue. for example, in shuai chiao, the ghost stance (similar to golden rooster stance in longfist) is a training form for a sweep - like judo's hiza guruma. the longfist posture shoot the bow is a training stance for what judo calls kata guruma - the fireman's carry. with a certain hand positioning (don't feel like trying to type and explain right now) gung bu (forward stance, bow and arrow stance, etc.) is used in shuai chiao to teach elbow locking, an arm locking technique.

You know the real problem is that a lot of teachers tell you to do things and don't tell you why. I need to know the theory behind techniques, I don't blindly follow, I never have. I encourage you to Study Budo Taijutsu from a reputable instructor and see for yourself. What I am learning is something not to many people know and I like that about it. I've been in enough real fights to now what works and this is the best I've seen. I do think grappling arts are absolutely essential, and I am starting to train in BJJ. All I'm saying is open your mind to new things or you will stagnate and grow weaker. I respect your experience and knowledge, all I ask for is the same.

Yeah, I agree. Many teachers do that. I think that's a big problem in the MA today - there are too many secrets. People try to protect knowledge to make themselves look more knowledgable, but they do so at the cost of limiting their students. principles behind techniques you are doing is basic knowledge that you should be taught. It's those principles that will allow you to apply the techniques in sparring and combat.