Problem, too traditional!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with Traditional arts. They are no more effective or less effective than modern ones. Like others have said, something that was effective centuries ago should be useful now.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

However I do agree that you should change something that needs to be changed. Never stick to something just for the sake of Tradition if there's a better way of accomplishing the same objective. This is where exponent of the art matters more than the style because only the person using martial arts can decide what they think is the best application of techniques.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

- Bruce Lee

An often overlooked part of the most traditional systems is the healing aspects. In earlier times the students learned to help heal the damage they inflicted on their sparring partners.

"An often overlooked part of the most traditional systems is the healing aspects. In earlier times the students learned to help heal the damage they inflicted on their sparring partners."

Thats what is done in my dojo to, Kiatsu is complusary for some higher grades.

I think everyone agrees that the techniques that are tought work in modern times as well as in the old days. The human body has not changed, therefore the effects the techniques have on the body don't change either. I think if you want to learn effective techniques quickly, there are styles for that. If you want to learn on art that takes more study there are those also. It is up to the individual to seek out what works best for them, and what their lifestyle or environment dictates would be most effective. Although some Arts don't want to let go of certain traditions that don't really apply anymore, like the "HORSE STANCE" or throwing puches from that stance. This was taught for strikes while on horseback. Another is breaking boards and bricks, that was for fighting against someone with japanese armor, men with armor moved slower and you could get one of those punches in, probably not very useful today. There are many of these techniques being taught today that have little to no use anymore, but the history is very interesting.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Although some Arts don't want to let go of certain traditions that don't really apply anymore, like the "HORSE STANCE" or throwing puches from that stance. This was taught for strikes while on horseback.[/b]

Not in Chinese styles. horse stance plays a part in chi development. also, it's a structural thing, teaching you to become rooted when necessary. An added benefit is the endurance that the muscles gain by holding horse for long periods of time. Nobody is supposed to fight from a low horse. stances are transitioning techniques - foot work and stance disruptions.

Another is breaking boards and bricks, that was for fighting against someone with japanese armor, men with armor moved slower and you could get one of those punches in, probably not very useful today. There are many of these techniques being taught today that have little to no use anymore, but the history is very interesting.

If you can break three brick slabs, imagine what you should (theoretically) be able to do to someone's sternum...

I didn't know Chinese Styles called it horse stance, there's something in Japanese called "kamae" which basically means stance. You can go in and out of Kamae for power and stability, it is almost identical to Kung Fu stances, but it is not like a horse stance. I agree you can build strength by holding a horse stance for long periods of time, but a ready fighting position is definitely not a horse stance.

Well other styles don't break boards and they are just as effective.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"