Problem, too traditional!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again, it's not just the style. It's the instructor. How realistic is your self defense drills? Do you spar full contact? How often do you do self defense drills?

Once again, does your full contact include no pads and strikes/grabs that are generally "not allowed"? Can you grab an opponent's kick or punch if they leave it hanging out? Are you allowed strikes to the groin/temples/vulnerable areas?

Yes, I completely agree that it's the instructor and not just the style. I know that the self defence we practice is very realistic because we make up the situations. Anything from being mugged with a knife, to being attacked by more than one person, to stitting at the bar and having someone grab you from behind and start punching. All of these things are worked on because they happen, then we have to figure out what we would do to defend against them and show the rest of the class. Every class we do this.

For self defense practice and grappling, there are no pads. For sparring, yes there is.

We do have drills when your partner actually has to grap you, bear hug you or whatever, and you have to excape. Like what you explained. Sometimes these drills are mixed in with something else. Like kicking drills. You have your mind on the drill, and another person randomly attacts you in class and you have to defend. I love that drill :)

We have grappling, too. These guys were going full out. Chokes, joint locks, pinning each other, ect. This stuff hurts (I'm not used to it one bit yet. I tapped quick LOL).

I didn't mention much about sparring, just because we are not a "sport" school. We do spar the "sporty" way once a month or so. We use pads and the WTF rules, but it's not for us.

Our instructor is big on self defense. And we do a lot of it (which I'm happy with :D ).

Laurie F

I swore off these kind of threads, but this one has been quite friendly so far, so...

I'm with Kensai. I still fail to see what has changed so much in the last fifteen years. People may be able to become more proficient in defending themselves faster in a MMA because MMA's do not spend time on Kata and such. That doesn't mean the techniques in a traditional school are any less effective once you've learned them. Be it a modern or traditional art, I say it is still about the teacher and the practicioner. :karate:

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

I swore off these kind of threads, but this one has been quite friendly so far, so...

Me too.

IMO, the one obvious thing that IS changing is the type of MA apponents you need to prepare to defend against. Many traditional arts, mine included, train almost entirely against students of their own style. We should make sure we occationally train against other styles, to be prepared for them. therefore, as more "modern" styles are developed, we need to be prepared for the occational "bad egg" that has learned it, and is using it improperly.

Aside from that, I can see a few minor changes that would necessitate the need for a traditional style to re-think the application. It could have been developed with the intent to be used on bare ground, and now must be used on pavement. It could have been originally assuming the apponent would be wearing sandles, and now has steele toe shoes. And so on. This does NOT mean that we need to abandon the traditional teachings, just that we need to apply them to todays environment. IMHO

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Like what you explained. Sometimes these drills are mixed in with something else. Like kicking drills. You have your mind on the drill, and another person randomly attacts you in class and you have to defend. I love that drill.

Excellent. That's exactly the kind of training that's needed if you're looking for self-defence.

I completely agree with KSN Doug's point about applying traditional techniques to a modern situation. It's not that a technique is ineffective, but it needs to be retooled for a more modern setting.

Thnx alot guys for keeping this thread friendly and i appreciate the input it was given, good luck in ur training and always work hard at it! :karate:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

Srry i forgot to add

but it needs to be retooled for a more modern setting.

Thats exactly what i thought aswell, like i said i love tradition but find it too binding thats why it is good to find a style or concept for intance like JDK to grow from.

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.