• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn whatever appeals to you.

I tried Nunchukas, and absolutely hated them. I tried the various swords... and thats it. That is all I have bothered to learn/train in. Do not learn something because someone else wants you.. or because you think it would impress people. Learn something that you will like and enjoy, so you dont lose intrestest in it, and you continue to practice with it.

Staff, very universal

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Staff is nice, great for distance and generating power.

Staff is not good when u get up close and personal

Staff is not speed

Staff is not 'universal'. No weapon is.

Learn what you like man... like DOA said, if it appeals to you, then learn it... you'll enjoy it alot more then trying to learn something that you 'THINK' you should learn.

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

Street fight this, street fight that..... I dont know anyone who actively gets in street fights.

Anyway though,

I dont care if you use a Bo Staff or not.. in a REAL street fight.. I would blow you away with my 9mm, or Luger, or .44 cal. No Bo staff is a match for that in a REAL street fight.

If thats really what your worried about, go get yourself a gun license/permit and start going to the shooting range.

Not to mention, in a real street fight, who in the hell is gonna be walking down the street with a Bo staff, kinda hard to conceal.

Two good weapons, that arent firearms. are the dagger/knife and the Cane.

The cane is an awesome weapon to learn, not only is it very very effective, but you can take it anywhere. You can take it on a plane, in the mall, to school, to work..

Also, the knife. Since the knife is easily concealable, and lightweight, it would make an ideal choice for a fight with someone,

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

Neither staffs nor nunchaku are particularly carryable day-to-day; further, at close range I'd take a sword any day.

That said, some obvious choices when looking at self-defense:

hangun

long-arm

knife

slap-jack

stick

manuverable weapons (bottle / rolled up magazine)

non-manuverable weapons (brick / book / billard ball)

flexable weapons (belt, jacket, shirt, rope)

enhancement weapons (roll of quarters, bar from bike lock)

flails (chain / weight in a sock)

Start somewhere easy such as the staff. Then work upward from there. I'd stay away from Nunchaku until you have some control over another weapon. They are a very unforgiving weapon when you make a mistake.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

They are a very unforgiving weapon when you make a mistake.

I don't think they are too bad, if you train reasonably. I practice with some very hard plastic (acrylic I think) nunchuks. They could easily break a bone, or crack a skull I'm sure.

I've never done anything more than hit myself in the elbow. It hurts like hell, and I can't bend my arm for a while, but I've never gotten anything worse then that. Once you learn the basics, which you can practice slowly, it would be very difficult to hit yourself anywhere other than the elbows (maybe knees). There are foam practice ones as well, but they are way too light, I don't really recommend them, a friend filled the inside of his with silicone to make them a little heavier, but they were still pretty light..

Staff is fairly good weapon to start with, and sword isn't bad either. Nunchuks are grea too.

I'd really love to learn Rope-javelin and 9-section whip chain (I have one, but practice with an extension cord, because I'd be likely to kill myself otherwise).

Visit Shaolin, Chinese Martial Arts

- I don't fear the 10,000 techniques you've practised once, I fear the one technique you've practiced 10,000 times. -