• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My decision, opinions?

I am going to the dojang tonight for my first class, but today I read a post on a different site and was wondering what your opinion about it is (the post was somewhat discouraging):

"I am an ex tang soo do practioner (very similar to TKD) and it is very strong and effective AT LONG RANGE. 95 percent of fights end up on the ground and what happens if they get in close on you? you can't kick someone from 6 inches. i'd recommend american kenpo or jiujitsu. both of these styles will teach you effective ways of defending yourself with every possible weapon your body possesses, especially american kenpo, and will teach you how to effectively defend yourself without having to take the initiative in attacking which often leads to serious legal consequences."

What do you think. Is this a load of rubbish, would I be able to be effective at close range and in potentially real life fighting situations?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greendragon,

Don't believe myths that people develop about what Tang Soo Do has and what it has not. Those myths come from people who haven't trained or haven't trained very long in the style, or haven't trained with a competant instructor. As a Master of that style who has trained over 21 years, I can tell you that Tang Soo Do is not lacking at any ranges. We might not emphasize all ranges at all belt levels, but there is no deficit of technique in Tang Soo Do. If you only look as far as the forms, you will see "stylized" versions of in-fighting techniques including those that are geared for defense against grapplers. It takes an experienced eye to see it though.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

I agree, JaseP. My TSD instructor taught us how to kick at close range. If you are standing 6 inches from me, I can still "boot you in the head" or ribs, or knee. Plus he taught us elbow strikes, punches, knee strikes, close-in stand up grappling, ect. And I only made it to 5th gup! My TKD MDK teacher does the same thing (which is based on TSD). So don't go by one person's opinion.

Tang Soo ;)

Laurie F

I did take the class last night. Extremely organized. Very exhausting. Very traditional, Mr/Miss, sir, even showed me as I was leaving the way I had to fold up my uniform. He explained everything very well. I left breathing heavy and impressed. I think this is going to work out great.

Thank you again for your responses. Go Mahp Soom Nee Dah.

Tang Soo!

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz