My decision, opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Green. Go try it out. Beware, though. Tang Soo Do is addicting when taught right. I knew the first week that I loved it (and the school). Every since I moved to NY, I've been looking for TSD, but didn't find it :( I did find a school that is very similar :D My current school teaches TKD, but TSD forms after black belt, and all the same techniques before and after :D

Good luck. Let us know how it goes ;)

Laurie F

Thanks everybody, I'm going to give it a try. Seems like TSD is not the most popular art, but those who try it or are lucky enough to have it in their area like it a lot. Sounds like a bit of a hidden gem, a well kept secret, ect. But it is kind of a bummer that most sites that have individual forums for each art don't even have one for TSD.

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

Yea, I agree. TSD isn't a popular art. It's hard to find stuff on the art :( I also had trouble finding stuff on the net. But I didn't care. I love TSD :D If you would like to learn about it or want to know something, you can PM me or post it :)

Laurie F

Hehehehehehe silly Sub. I did TSD and TKD. Am I hot??? *smacks herself in the forhead* DOH, I'm a moderator. Stupid question LOL. *Hides from Patrick* j/k Anyways, I have no clue on that, Sub. I guess that the ones you like do those arts :angel:

Ok, Ok, back to the topic ;)

Laurie F

I don't think I have to post my opinion on Tang Soo Do. It think it's a given. Having trained over 21 years in the art, I can tell you that I'd never switch. I have found everything I need in it.

The only downside of Tang Soo Do is the politics, which don't really effect students until they are senior Dan holders (4th and above). There are many Tang Soo Do organizations (prob. a dozen or so major ones in the USA), all with their strenghts and weaknesses.

If you have any questions on Tang Soo Do, don't hesitate to ask. I'll give you candid answers.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Hiya,

Thx for posting. So what do you think of Jino Kim and his father? The dojang is called J. Kim Tang Soo Do, I will be training in one of their locations in Tucson. Since I am just leaving a McDojo, I am a bit concerned that J. Kim TSD has more than one location. What do you know about them, anything?

GreenDragon

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

I don't know either personally. I'm not sure if my instructor does or not.

Their pedigree is good. Kim Sr. apparently trained under GM Hwang Kee. The Jr. Kim has a pedigree just a little better than mine, just one step removed from GM Hwang Kee rather than 2. The Jr. Kim is still fairly young (about 40), and so will be around, and active, a good long time.

There seems to be a strong emphasis on traditional values and solid technique, which is good. From the GIF files on their website, I can tell the school(s), and federation are small, and were likely offshoot from the Moo Duk Kwan when the politics started "hitting the fan," so to speak. All in all that is not an unusual situation. I can also tell that the execution of kicks and blocks, etc. is also very good and solid. The self-defense techniques seem a bit fancied up (probably for show) rather than practical (Jump back kick vs. a punch, for example). I doubt that the self-defense shown is standard for class, but more oriented towards showing off Master Jino Kim's ability. I'd assume there is a very practical self-defense aspect here.

I think this is probably a good organization. Although they don't appear to have many Masters under their federation here in the USA, that gives those who stick with their organization room for advancement to positions of authority (serving on federation committees, testing boards, etc.), though.

You certainly could do a lot worse that this organization. I have personally seen a lot worse. You'll probably be very happy training there if you like the people and the atmosphere.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

G r e e n D r a g o n