• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Of course SPORT ARTS are always going to be more popular, because you can compete in them, and win things. They win trophies, money and recognition, and they deserve it. Sport arts can be used to kill or damage someone sure, but in competition there are rules. Combat Arts pratice techniques differently, but we have to hold back with certain techniques or we will really damage or fellow student pretty bad. People study ARTS that appeal to them for different reasons, some people need to compete to feel confident about their skills, others don't. I just want to make something very clear, COMBAT ARTS usually train someone to use the least amount of energy to disable someone, because in COMBAT you are going to fight more than person before the day is done. SPORT ARTS train someone to fight in COMPETITION which is great.For example: You can practice to use a knife and cut vital areas, and shoot a target with a gun, these skills are deadly whether you use them or not. I don't desire having to ever use this stuff, I am just fascinated with all Martial Arts.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that someone who trains Karate (just for the sake of argument) for fifteen years will immediately revert to biting and eyegouging when thrown in the pressurecooker?

What's all the training for?

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

Why is it that someone who trains Karate (just for the sake of argument) for fifteen years will immediately revert to biting and eyegouging when thrown in the pressurecooker?

What's all the training for?

thank you...ceratin techniques are certainly effective but I hate how people try to overuse them as an argument for everything.

Of course SPORT ARTS are always going to be more popular, because you can compete in them, and win things. They win trophies, money and recognition, and they deserve it. Sport arts can be used to kill or damage someone sure, but in competition there are rules. Combat Arts pratice techniques differently, but we have to hold back with certain techniques or we will really damage or fellow student pretty bad. People study ARTS that appeal to them for different reasons, some people need to compete to feel confident about their skills, others don't. I just want to make something very clear, COMBAT ARTS usually train someone to use the least amount of energy to disable someone, because in COMBAT you are going to fight more than person before the day is done. SPORT ARTS train someone to fight in COMPETITION which is great.For example: You can practice to use a knife and cut vital areas, and shoot a target with a gun, these skills are deadly whether you use them or not. I don't desire having to ever use this stuff, I am just fascinated with all Martial Arts.

judo is designed to get maximum effort with minimum result and throws can be disabling, so what you mentioned about that isn't common only among "combat arts" second, you can't practice those arts real time, right? You can't eye gouge someone, so you have to simulate it. that means you don't KNOW that you can use it in combat. Ever spar full contact? If you haven't I'll tell you a secret.... most people tend to freeze up after they take a hard shot on the street, and in the ring and tend to forget their training. It's natural and you have to know how to deal with it. bjjers, boxers, thai fighters, etc. are all very used to hard contact.

As I said before, if I throw you on your head or break one of your limbs, who cares whether what I train in is a sport?

I will say one thing to that...the better grappler is usually going to be in a better position to bite or eye gouge...

but yes dirty tactics can be an equalizer..just not a magic solution

agreed. it's easier to eye gouge and/or strike the throat when you have the person controlled and can keep his movement to a minimum.

I guess none of you guys have studied Combat Arts, I myself have sparred full contact in Boxing, Karate, and in street fights. I know what you are saying, but I'm not just talking about eye gouging and biting. There are things in Combat Arts you'll just have to see for yourself, go seek out a school that teaches this and be opened minded, then get back to me. I myself am going to study BJJ to add to my arsenal, I suggest wholistic training over only knowing one style.

I guess none of you guys have studied Combat Arts, I myself have sparred full contact in Boxing, Karate, and in street fights. I know what you are saying, but I'm not just talking about eye gouging and biting. There are things in Combat Arts you'll just have to see for yourself, go seek out a school that teaches this and be opened minded, then get back to me. I myself am going to study BJJ to add to my arsenal, I suggest wholistic training over only knowing one style.

like I said before...Three years in karate, four years in longfist. two years in jun fan, muay thai and kali... currently a sankyu in judo and also training bjj and shuai chiao...

I was telling you how to use your stances, remember? I'm quite familiar with traditional training. Regardless of what's taught at the school, if they're not effectively training, including hard drilling and contact sparring, those "deadly techniques" may do you less good than you're hoping.

You have no idea what kind of training I've had and I would like to keep it that way. Never, ever underestimate your opponent and don't think you have all the answers, that is your weakness. Keep training hard and if you really want to win a fight, buy a gun, martial arts is a discipline an art, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I know how to use my stances and stances are transitional, not poses to take after a strike, keep moving or you will be taken. You can train all you want, but if you are being taught wrong, I don't care how much you spar, you will be ineffective. Sorry the truth hurts.

You have no idea what kind of training I've had and I would like to keep it that way. Never, ever underestimate your opponent and don't think you have all the answers, that is your weakness. Keep training hard and if you really want to win a fight, buy a gun, martial arts is a discipline an art, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I know how to use my stances and stances are transitional, not poses to take after a strike, keep moving or you will be taken. You can train all you want, but if you are being taught wrong, I don't care how much you spar, you will be ineffective. Sorry the truth hurts.

your defensiveness is showing for a reason... I never said anything about your training, did I? I never said YOUR school was training ineffectively, I was talking about schools in general. If you don't think yours falls into that category, don't jump on the defensive.

As for the transitional thing, I mentioned them being transitional, and your reply was something to the effect of one of your karate teachers taught you wrong, and then you said "thanks for the enlightenment"...