• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On another thread TreeBranch wrote: "Combat Styles have very effective ground fighting techniques that probably wouldn't be allowed in a competition"

I have a problem with this because I don't believe you can really "own" a technique unless you practise it live. For example, I can practise chokes and armbars etc to virtually their full extent by allowing the person to tap if they can't escape. I've broken arms and choked people unconscious so I know that these techniques work if I go that one extra step.

By sparring we know how people react to when I attempt an armbar or neck-crank or choke, but how can I know how they will react to an eye-gouge or bite accurately and then take advantage of that reaction ? I can't, and this is why "sport arts" like BJJ, Boxing, Kickboxing etc have dominated MMA, because they can practise what they fight with.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very true, Things like Biting/ eye gouging/groin shots can be very effective but only if you have a solid knowladge of grappling.

Full contact fighters are the best fighters in the world and thats a fact.

I think it's funny how people try to discred the UFC as a proving ground yet in UFC 1-5 the only rules were no biting and no eye gouging...unless you base your entire ability to fight on those things then that argument hold no weight.

some people dont like to accept certain facts.

It'll never end will it ???

Where's the shakin my head smilie at ???

Would somebody explain how you gonna practice eye gouging or finger breakin etc ???

Never mind............Jonny..............In case you didn't know........Everyone here decided that grapplin from your back is without a doubt the very bestes way to defend your self !!!It has been proven time & time again on TV.

No need to beat a dead horse anymore.

Unless you don't think that Muay tai is the absolute bestes way to defend yo self.In which case we decided that Muay Tai is the absolute bestes way to defend yo self standing up.It has been proven time & time again on tv too.

Unless you out with your buddies & 10 fellas bigger than you start trouble.Then we decided that the absolute bestes way to defend yo self in Canada is to whip out a summer sausage from your pants & go postal on their a$$ !!! :karate:

Smith & Wesson, your sarcasm would be funny if people didn't believe that their eye-gouges and other "too dangerous" techniques were the answers to everything.

I'm not knocking other arts, I'm having a go at the ridiculous belief that techniques which are too dangerous to train are somehow going to be instinct or the fight enders that people believe.

TKD - Black Belt

The shootfighting I *did* is based on BJJ with stand-up striking and takedowns. It also contains the psychological aspects of fighting and set-ups etc.

I'm not really into Shootfighting anymore and more just into BJJ. I've still got so much to learn and not enough time so something had to give and that was Shootfighting.

As far as Rumino Sato, I think he's awesome. Great subs, very athletic. The only thing I don't like about the Japanese Shoot guys is that they seem to have some big holes in their games. Usually they can overcome this with conditioning and athleticism, but against a BJJ black belt the holes seem more apparent.

TKD - Black Belt

Just a silly question....

Has anyone really had someone take a nice bite into them?

Has anyone ever throw someone to the ground, and mounted them.. thinking it was ok, until this guy basically just bite you so hard in your chest or arm.. to draw blood and loose flesh?

Has anyone really really been gouged in the eye? Or had someone rotate there thumb and spraining it?

Has anyone ever had anyone take there fingernails and run it across the face, or across there chest and draw blood?

LOL... I have not had all of these things happen, just some. But, they are definately the great equalizers.

I would have to say, hands down the best fighters on earth are the students of dirty fighting, street style, etc etc....Say what you want, but let someone gouge you in the eye, and see if you can keep fighting lol.

Nick

"A man can fail many times, but a man is not a failure until he blames someone else"

"I will not fear...

Fear is the mind killer...

I will let my fear pass right through me..."

Dune.

I will say one thing to that...the better grappler is usually going to be in a better position to bite or eye gouge...

but yes dirty tactics can be an equalizer..just not a magic solution