• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think just practicing footwork too helps alot. I have recently realised that my footwork is slightly lacking, now I practice evryday just my footwork. A wooden dummy is good to train footwork to get around the leg as swiftly and efficiently as possible. However, I can not afford this and I sure can't make one...so I just got a four legged chair and used its legs as something to get round. It encourages proper footwork to step around and also as there are four you can move completely around it at many different angles.

I also train my techniques over and over again, slowly at first and then with greater speed. Particularily bong sau to laap sau and then strike etc.. different combinations you have come accross can be practiced in the air.

Failing that, try and met up with the other students in your association (an obvious one i know).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Firstly practice Sil Lim Tao daily infront of the mirror and if you have advanced to other forms, practice them as well. One of the other gentlemen who posted here mentioned using a Wing Chung dummy, this is good (the dummies were developed from people practicing at home in cramped Hong Kong apartments), but if you have only just started out, perhaps you should invest in one later on rather than now.

The most important thing is form, but don't try to copy your instructors form exactly. The most important thing is to develope your own form, or to find what your body does naturally.

Another postee mentioned using the bean bags, these are good, but spend a good half hour daily and try using water punching as well. For this fill up a bucket of cold water and punch the waters surface and try not to enter the water, this develops the concept of using force in the punch at the moment of contact.

Try using a speed punching bag, whilst your Sifu might say you can only punch in the one style, try sticking to stance but punching in a western boxing style.

Hope this helps