• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring with Groin Kicks?

yes, gloves definetly can create problems, especially 16 oz, you can use them as a shields or padding and just cover up, where a bare hand would provide alot less coverage, it's also alot harder to redirect punches effectivly.

many people use mma stlye gloves to get the best of both worlds.

anyways, what level of contact do you spar with? do you punch to the face?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
I personally spar with groin kicks all the time. We do wear a cup obviously. See, and I dont mean to pick on the TKD folks and other high kickers, you can really learn the impracticality of some moves shen it exposes your groin in the process. I have seen a lot of really good high kickers lose a lot of their arsenal because they knew that the potential to get kicked in the nay-nays was available. I think WAY too many martial artists over-rely on kicks. I say that in jeans, or high heels, or a skirt or something, your hands are your mos practical solution.

I recently had an argument with a fellow martial artist about this, so I was glad to see that there has been a discussion about this on the forum. :) I totally agree with sparring with groin kicks. I used to study tae kwon do, and I used to love high kicks. The first time I sparred in kenpo, I learned real fast that high kicks are almost always a bad idea for this reason. At first I found it really frustrating, but now I have gotten really good at blocking down there and feel pretty confident that I can defend my goods in a real life confrontation. So, I think its a good idea. Just my two cents.

I personally spar with groin kicks all the time. We do wear a cup obviously. See, and I dont mean to pick on the TKD folks and other high kickers, you can really learn the impracticality of some moves shen it exposes your groin in the process. I have seen a lot of really good high kickers lose a lot of their arsenal because they knew that the potential to get kicked in the nay-nays was available. I think WAY too many martial artists over-rely on kicks. I say that in jeans, or high heels, or a skirt or something, your hands are your mos practical solution.

I recently had an argument with a fellow martial artist about this, so I was glad to see that there has been a discussion about this on the forum. :) I totally agree with sparring with groin kicks. I used to study tae kwon do, and I used to love high kicks. The first time I sparred in kenpo, I learned real fast that high kicks are almost always a bad idea for this reason. At first I found it really frustrating, but now I have gotten really good at blocking down there and feel pretty confident that I can defend my goods in a real life confrontation. So, I think its a good idea. Just my two cents.

what technique do you learn to block groin kicks just out of curiosity?

Regarding what blocks to use, it really depends on the situation. We are taught to do a range of things, from simply turning your body to blocking with the hands/arms or legs. We actually focus a lot more on landing the kicks than on blocking them, which is sometimes frustrating (at least from a guy's perspective). At any rate, we use the technique a lot in both sparring and self-defense practice and the blocking tips really come from trial and error during sparring as well as an instructor sometimes pointing out what you could have done differently after you get nailed (not as helpful... lol).

I like the "keep your legs closed" concept.

how is that?i mean you dont stand in a fighting stance with your legs closed you?

Could you explain the stance..i have a hard time picturing a closed leg fighting stance that allows much mobility or balance..

There's a couply. some more obvious one's would be:

1. stand up with your feet near one another; when you move, step straight forward.

2. Take the MT fighting posture, but bring the rear foot in / forward and lower the body, you end up with your read knee almost touching your front hin, and it takes very little movement (mostly coming up on the ball of your rear foot more) to touch your shin with your knee.

3. Very similar to above for leg position, a T-stance with your knee near your shin.