• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flips in the movie... Lol

theswarm said

ps don't try forward flips on hard ground...

i swear i blacked out when i hit the ground

Man i feel bad for u hope u didnt do any permanent damage :wink:

Its always good to start small i.e to do a back flip begin to learn a bridge backwards soon u can do a semi back handspring then a full backhands spring then eventually a back flip. All i gotta say is it just takes time and practice and alot of B@lls! C-Yah and good luck :wink:

:karate: KEEP TRAINING AND ALWAYS WORK HARD AT IT! :karate:

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaju, that's exactly how I'm working up to a back handspring...except it hurts my back a bit. I started with a standing bridge, after discovering I could do that matrix-dodging-the-bullets move quite well.

After that, I worked on kicking my feet up and over, continuing the backwards motion. Now I'm working on building up the speed of this motion, trying to eliminate the hesitation from standing to bridge, and from bridge to flip over.

Once I have that down (which may take awhile), I'm going to try putting it in a combination: roundoff to back handspring. Probably going to take me a long time, though.

I still can't get a front handspring. I'm acrobatically challenged. :dead:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

It's called a Kip-Up. It's really not that difficult. First practice it with using your hands. Put your hands behind your head, swing your legs back and then throw them up and out while arching your back and pushing with your hands until you can land on your feet. When you've mastered that you remove your hands from behind your head and use your shoulders. To learn you can put your hands on your knees and push there to get more leverage to get back on your feet.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

probably you are not arching your back enough. Even if you fail to land on your feet, the position of you body should be such that you can really only have your feet and your shoulders on the ground at the same time. You cannot simply kick out, you have to also arch your back, as well as pull your legs back down and under you. It's the pulling/curving the legs back down that will provide the action/reaction to pull you torso off the ground. A student in my school can get up by just holding his legs in the air and performing the latter half of the kip-up. That's where the critical motion is.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

When I learned to do a back tuck (back flip) it took only 1 day to learn. Why? Well because I had a gymnastics instructor teach me. I learned to do it when I was 20 years old so it was tough to overcome the fear of falling. I would never have attempted it without proper help. I would say you should do the same. Go to a gymnastics school or hire an instructor to learn these moves CORRECTLY!!! I can't stress that enough. It is way too easy to get seriously injured because you did something wrong.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Maybe try taking up some kind of gymnist activities or try capoeira i find it will help to give up the confedence u need but be warned WARM UP AND STRETCH PROPERLY!!!!! i was not training for 2 months becuse of a muscle injury due to a flip.

..... Can't we just pratice it on mats? :s

Yes ofcourse but u can still be injured so be carefull and good luck!

"Sweat more in the dojo,bleed less in the street"Kajukenbo fighters axiom.

• 2 weeks later...
hey if you have a trampeline (or how ever you spell it :lol: ) or know any one that has one practice on that thats how i started and it doesnt hurt your back and i find it easier to do it without hands :roll:

• 1 month later...
practice it on a trampoline first as it is much easier but you are using the same technique. As someone previously said, it will eventually just click

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"