• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello everyone,

I have read about a lot of different martial arts lately and have been unable to make a decision on which MA I should choose to study. So, I think maybe you all could help. Any help is very much appreciated.

I am looking for a MA that will help me with self defense, to get and stay in shape as well as give me more discipline. I'm looking for a style that mainly emphasizes punching, kicking, weapons and competing in tournaments.

I'm overweight by about 12 pounds, but I'm very flexible and fast. Last time I measured I was 5' 11" tall.

The best way I can explain what kind of MA I'm looking for is to put it the way this guy was asking in this (CLICK HERE) topic.

1) 1

2) 1

3) 0

4) 4

5) 4

6) 2

It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but close.

Thanks in advance,

Nick117 :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I guess you could try karate, it focus a lot on punching and strikes and they do do tornuments and a lot of dojos do weapons. So I guess you could consider that.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

I guess you could try karate, it focus a lot on punching and strikes and they do do tornuments and a lot of dojos do weapons. So I guess you could consider that.

Is there a specific type of Karate I should try or will any type do? (Style I mean.)

Thanks,

Nick117

P.S. Don't know if this will help but, I studied Tang Soo Do briefly 7 years ago. I don't know much about it (Tang Soo Do) or remember much about it. But, from what I remember I liked it. Would Tang Soo Do fit my requirements?

Well I recently visited a goju-ryu dojo and asked about kobudo(weapons training stuff) and they said that all goju-ryu dojos should do kobudo, so you might want to do that.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Well I recently visited a goju-ryu dojo and asked about kobudo(weapons training stuff) and they said that all goju-ryu dojos should do kobudo, so you might want to do that.

Hmmm... are there any other styles (karate and other MAs) like goju-ryu? Because I found a dojo in New Jersey (where I live) but it is too far away from my house.

Thanks,

Nick117

Nick, I did TSD. Where do you live? You can PM me the answer. I used to live in NJ where I did TSD. If you liked it and live near my old school, I recommend going there. I'm a little bias too hehehehehe.

Check around and give us a list of schools in your area. We might be able to help you better with that.

Laurie F