• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how can i teach myself shotokan karate

ryu1

i really wanna learn this style.i know i am physically and mentally fit.but i don't wanna go to a dojo i have tought myself other types of karate but how can i learn this one.is their a book or website that can help me.

Did you really learn the styles? Or can do a good impression of them? Not to knock you, but learning a style strictly though a book does not give you the skill you think you should get out of it. Why Shotokan?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really wanna learn this style.i know i am physically and mentally fit.but i don't wanna go to a dojo i have tought myself other types of karate but how can i learn this one.is their a book or website that can help me.

Did you really learn the styles? Or can do a good impression of them? Not to knock you, but learning a style strictly though a book does not give you the skill you think you should get out of it. Why Shotokan?

Probably because shotokan is most popular, so therefore he shoudl be able to find lots on it.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

Self-training has quite a few disadvantages as compared to a dojo. One incredibly important thing however, is correction. If you try and self teach yourself any form of MA, you are GOING to make mistakes! And one of the worst things to do is to continue training, without having the mistakes corrected, (very often done in just about any dojo). And if you continue with these mistakes, then your very basics become flawed, and that will mess up many advanced techniques, and will make real life application quite dangerous

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

Not to mention that it is tremendously difficult to correct your basics after having done incorrectly them for some time.

i dont blame you for not wanna go to a dojo, dont let these guys rag on you to much, but what you might wanna do is find an instructor, make friends /w him/her and try and get some private lessons. The price will usally be lower, heck for me its plain out free!

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

i dont blame you for not wanna go to a dojo, dont let these guys rag on you to much, but what you might wanna do is find an instructor, make friends /w him/her and try and get some private lessons. The price will usally be lower, heck for me its plain out free!

Actualy if you find an instructo that teaches in a dojo it's more for prviate instruction. I know if I wanted private instruction it would be 93 dollars a month.

It is a waste of time trying to teach yourself a Martial Art without proper instruction. There are just too many errors to be made without someone overlooking what you are doing. Save the money on the videos and join a dojo.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

It is a waste of time trying to teach yourself a Martial Art without proper instruction. There are just too many errors to be made without someone overlooking what you are doing. Save the money on the videos and join a dojo.

Coudln't you do it with some fancy cameras and mirrors though? I mean tell if your making a mistake.

no.

Why would you correct yourself if you think you are doing it right. Teaching yourself karate is like asking someone else who doesn't know karate to teach you.

BKJ, once you've started karate you'll realise it's hard to learn it with the instructor, not to mention without his help. With the teacher by your side you'll make thousands of mistakes. Though you'll know where you are wrong it would take some time till your body learns to do everything properly.

Without the instructor it's even harder. Why not benefit from somebody's experience. A sensei is the one that walked the road before you, and you'll have a lot to learn from him. It's nice to know some shortcuts when in a mountain climb :D